The next entry in Capcom's Resident Evil series will be a ‘clean slate' and a return to the franchise's horror roots.
That's according to industry analyst Dr Serkan Toto, who said on the Twitter (below) that Resident Evil 7 is indeed in development. It will also ‘go back to RE's horror roots', following the more action focused Resident 5 and 6.
Toto's description of this new release as ‘(essentially) clean slate' suggests this new title could be a reboot of the series altogether. He also says that we will be seeing the game at E3.
Meanwhile, Toto goes on to say that Kojima Productions designer Jordan Amaro has joined the Resident Evil 7 team, having previously worked on Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and – more importantly - the terrifying peek at a now-cancelled Silent Hills game, PT.
In its most recent financial report, Capcom said that it was planning a ‘full-scale offensive' in the second half of the 2017 fiscal year, following the launch of online multiplayer shooter Resident Evil: Umbrella Corps. This, coupled with the fact that Resident Evil celebrates its 20th anniversary this year, could point to big things coming up for the horror franchise.
Additionally, a from the ground up remake of Resident Evil 2 is on the way, also.
2) They will show it at E3. The RE7 team hired Jordan Amaro, a designer who previously worked on MGS V and P. T. at Kojima Productions. /end— Dr. Serkan Toto (@serkantoto) May 17, 2016