Rockstar's Max Payne 3 has beaten Blizzard's Diablo III to the No.1 spot in the UKIA GfK Chart-Track All Formats Top 40.
It's Rockstar's first No.1 since LA Noire almost a year ago. It's the first time that a Max Payne title has claimed No.1 in the UK, bettering the week-one performance of Max Payne 2 by a ratio of 10-1.
It's also the biggest all formats No.1 since Mass Effect 3 in March.
Despite its Tuesday release, Blizzard's Diablo III failed to beat Rockstar's action outing by a margin of 8,000 units, despite being the 12th fastest selling PC game ever in the UK – beating both of the last two Football manager outings.
The numbers don't, of course, take into account the sizable digital sales the game would have attracted over Blizzard's Battle.net.
Price promotions see Rising Star Games' Catherine re-enter the listings in 17th while Konami's Metal Gear Solid HD Collection also re-enters in 40th.
Here's the UK All Formats Top 20 for the week ending May 19th:
1. Max Payne 3 (Rockstar)
2. Diablo III (Blizzard)
3. FIFA Street (EA)
4. Sniper Elite V2 (505 Games)
5. FIFA 12 (EA)
6. Prototype 2 (Activision)
7. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision)
8. Battlefield 3 (EA)
9. Assassin's Creed: Revelations (Ubisoft)
10. Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (Sega)
11. Mass Effect 3 (EA)
12. Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure (Activision)
13. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 (EA)
14. Kinect Star Wars (Microsoft)
15. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda)
16. Batman: Arkham City (Warner Bros)
17. Catherine (Rising Star)
18. Saints Row: The Third (THQ)
19. Football Manager 2012 (Sega)
20. Rayman Origins (Ubisoft)