Gearbox's multiplayer shooter seems to be about to launch some sort of free-to-play or free-to-try offer.
Kotaku originally reported that a source close to the game had informed it that Battleborn was going to make the switch to free-to-play within a couple of months. This source added that the studio had wanted to make the game F2P from the off, but that publisher 2K Games had preferred a more standard retail price model.
However, since then the game has fallen short of expectations. The same can be said of fellow 2K multiplayer FOS Evolve – and that has thrived following the decision to switch to a F2P model.
It is also claimed that current Battleborn players who paid upfront for the title will be offered some sort of reward following the switch.
However, outspoken Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford has subsequently come out and denied the claims. Sort of.
I was just told about a reckless story about Battleborn going F2P that is false. There are no plans to convert Battleborn free to play.— Randy Pitchford (@DuvalMagic) September 29, 2016
We have some unannounced plans to do a trial version of the game that would be free and from which retail can be purchased along with DLC.— Randy Pitchford (@DuvalMagic) September 29, 2016
@jasonschreier I don't think timed demo is right. I think we need to sort our plans FIRST and then announce them. Call in a few months.— Randy Pitchford (@DuvalMagic) September 30, 2016
So the F2P claims are reckless”, but a trial” version that is free” is planned, and it isn't a timed demo, and those plans haven't been finalised anyway? It does sound a bit F2P-ish. We'll see.
Battleborn by all accounts is a decent game but suffered by launching in the same window as the hugely successful and overtly similar Overwatch.