Splatoon 2 has become the first Switch title to break one million units in Japan, according to the latest figures from Famitsu. The title shifted another 38,642 units last week, taking it over the one million mark after just four weeks on sale. This means it's taken the Switch five months to create its first million-selling hit.
Despite this, however, the title dropped a place to No.3 last week, after sales for the PS4 version of Dragon Quest XI picked up again, giving Square Enix's RPG its third week of claiming both the No.1 and No.2 spots. The 3DS version maintained its lead on its PS4 counterpart last week, taking their combined cumulative total to 2.8m units.
Square Enix also released a Dragon Quest X: All-In-One Package last week, which debuted at No.5 after selling 16,000 units.
Over on the hardware side, the Switch experienced a huge sales drop of 70 per cent last week due to supply constraints over Japan's Obon holiday season, says Famitsu. Nintendo's console sold just 22,000 units last week, allowing the 3DS to return to the top spot with a combined total of 41,000 units sold. Of that figure, 24,000 came from the New Nintendo 2DS XL. The PS4 meanwhile, sold another 33,000 units.
Here's the Top Ten software chart in full for the week ending August 20th:
- Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (3DS), Square Enix, 93,515
- Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (PS4), Square Enix, 60,615
- Splatoon 2 (Switch), Nintendo, 38,642
- The Snack World: TreJarers (3DS), Level-5, 35,959
- Dragon Quest X: All-In-One Package (PS4), Square Enix, 16,391 (New)
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch), Nintendo, 11,998
- Dai Ace Attorney 2: Naruhodo Ryunosuke No Kakugo (3DS), Capcom, 8,253
- Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy (PS4), Sony, 7,157
- Hitman: The Complete First Season (PS4), Square Enix, 6,478
- Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and The Millionaire's Conspiracy (3DS), Level-5, 5,734