The RPG also claimed a cracking 53.5 per cent of all full price PS2 sales last week – a notable feat considering the ongoing strength of Sony’s popular console.
Microsoft’s Xbox 360 shooter Crackdown holds on to second spot for the second consecutive week, and also becomes the fourth fastest selling Xbox 360 title ever behind Gears of War, Pro Evolution Soccer 6 and Call of Duty 3.
Elsewhere in the charts, EA’s The Sims 2: Seasons debuts in third spot, Sega’s Wii platform romp Sonic and the Secret Rings enters the charts at number five and 2K Games’ comic and movie licence Ghost Rider reaches number 24 on its first week.
The top ten in full is as follows:
1. Final Fantasy XII (Square Enix)
2. Crackdown (Microsoft)
3. The Sims 2: Seasons (EA)
4. FIFA 07 (EA)
5. Sonic and the Secret Rings (Sega)
6. Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (Konami)
7. Need for Speed: Carbon (EA)
8. Dr Kawashima’s Brain Training (Nintendo)
9. The Sims 2 (EA)
10. New Super Mario Bros (Nintendo)