The Wii release sold 156,055 copies in its first week, beating fellow new entry Fate / Stay Night (PS2) from publisher Kadokawa Shoten into second position.
Atlus’ Persona 3: Fes (PS2) takes third place in its first week, while former number one Gyakuten Saiban 4 from Capcom (DS) drops to fourth.
Nintendo enjoys 12 entries in the Japanese top 30 – whilst not one Xbox 360 or PS3 title makes it into the list.
The full Famitsu top ten reads:
1. Super Paper Mario (Wii) – Nintendo
2. Fate / Stay Night [Realta Nua] (PS2) – Kadokawa Shoten
3. Persona 3: Fes (PS2) – Atlus
4. Gyakuten Saiban 4 (DS) – Capcom
5. Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition (PSP) – Square Enix
6. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March Of The Minis (DS) – Nintendo
7. Wii Sports (Wii) – Nintendo
8. Nodame Cantabile (DS) – Namco Bandai
9. Yoshi’s Island (DS) – Nintendo
10. Wii Play (Wii) – Nintendo