Adding to the Beatles’s loss in the music charts at the hands of the record-breaking Dame Vera Lynn, EA’s licensed games outing The Beatles: Rock Band also missed out on the video games charts crown with Activision’s Guitar Hero 5 emerging victorious to claim the top spot.
Guitar Hero 5 is the first game in the series to reach number one. On a plus note for The Beatles, however, it does manage to chart higher than any previous Rock Band title
In fact, The Beatles has to settle for fourth spot in its debut week in the listings, with Codemasters’ Colin McRae Dirt 2 claiming number two in its first week of release – one place higher than its predecessor managed on its first week. In third place is Eidos’ Batman: Arkham Asylum, which suffers a 60 per cent drop in sales.
Other new entries in the listings include a debut at 13th for Eidos’s Championship Manager 2010, while the publisher’s fellow title Mini Ninjas debuts at 15th. FPS Section 8, published by South Peak, debuts in 22nd spot.
Here’s the ELSPA GfK-ChartTrack All Formats Top 10 in full (for the week ending September 12th):
1. Guitar Hero 5 (Activision Blizzard)
2. Colin McRae Dirt 2 (Codemasters)
3. Batman: Arkham Asylum (Eidos)
4. The Beatles: Rock Band (EA)
5. Wii Fit (Nintendo)
6. Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
7. IL2 Sturmovik (505 Games)
8. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision Blizzard)
9. Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
10. Ashes Cricket 2009 (Codemasters)