London, 26th September 2012: Valued at £3.266 billion, the UK video games industry is bigger than both music and video, accounting for 40.2% of the entertainment market, and employs 28,000 people*. From tomorrow until 30 th September, the Eurogamer Expo opens its doors at Earls Court Exhibition Centre for the UK’s largest consumer video games show, welcoming over 50,000 gamers, publishers and developers from around the world to experience the best the industry has to offer.
Sponsored by Virgin Media, the Eurogamer Expo is being supported by over 40 of the world’s top publishers, including Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony, and offers the UK’s first hands-on opportunity with the forthcoming Nintendo Wii U home console.
Now in its fifth year, the Expo is the brainchild of Rupert Loman, founder of games media website Eurogamer.net. A shining example of the entrepreneurship and passion running through the UK’s games industry, Loman co-founded the company at the age of 16 from his bedroom in Brighton.
“The support for the Expo from UK gamers and the industry has been incredible," said Rupert Loman "We had 4,000 people at our first show five years ago and this year we will receive over 10 times that amount. London’s Eurogamer Expo is now a permanent fixture in the video games calendar, with the biggest names in gaming attending and exhibiting at the event.”
For interviews with Rupert Loman, please contact Caroline Miller on 0208 964 4545 or 07765 255 002.
More about Rupert Loman and Eurogamer:
Rupert Loman founded Eurogamer in 1999, aged 16. Whilst remaining independent, the company has subsequently grown to be one of the world's leading games media businesses, with a portfolio of market-leading websites and events for consumers and the trade. Loman was recognised as "The One to Watch in Media" by the Observer's "Future 500" list of rising stars in business.
*Notes for editors provided by UKIE:
UK Video Games Industry Overview
In association with Ukie
· Revenue - the UK video games market is valued at £3.266 billion and is bigger than both music and video, with video games accounting for 40.2% of the entertainment market in the UK.
· Employment - the video games industry in the UK employs 28,000 people, including 9,000 highly-skilled games development roles. With tax breaks due for the industry next year and the right flow of talent reaching the sector, the UK games industry is now getting the right environment it needs to grow: from the rapid increase in the number of indie studios, as well as the encouraging inward investment in larger, established studios.
· UK gamers – there are 31 million active gamers in the UK, and 28 million people in the UK play casual games over a variety of platforms
· UK gamer age – the average age of a gamer in the UK is 33
· Console ownership - there is now the equivalent of at least one console per household in the UK
· Export - in 2010, UK developed boxed video games alone were exported worldwide to the value of £1.41 billion
· Game development - over 200 games development studios are based in the UK
· Entrepreneurs - as of April 2012, $20m has been raised on Kickstarter for games projects across 857 projects, with the average amount raised per successful project $24k.
The Eurogamer Expo is the UK’s biggest consumer video games show, held at Earls Court between 27 th - 30 th September 2012. For more information and interview opportunities with key industry spokespeople, please contact Caroline Miller on 0208 964 4545 or 07765 255 002.