CARY, N.C.– December 16, 2010– Epic Games, Inc. has released the latest beta of the Unreal Development Kit (UDK), the free edition of its award-winning Unreal Engine 3 that provides access to the engine’s fully integrated suite of tools, which power blockbuster games, training simulations, films and 3D visualizations. The December UDK Beta includes new tools for making iOS games and apps, such as Epic’s free“Epic Citadel” App, which has been downloaded to more than 1.5 million iOS devices.
“Epic Citadel” introduces the setting for“ Infinity Blade,” the all-new action adventure sword-fighting game for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad from Epic’s ChAIR Entertainment available now at the App Store. Released December 9,“Infinity Blade” has already been named IGN Entertainment’s iPhone Game of the Year.
Until now, only select Unreal Engine 3 commercial licensees have had access to the engine’s world-class mobile game development tools, which bring top of the line, triple-A visuals to handheld gaming platforms. The release of UDK with iOS support marks a major breakthrough because now anyone can work with the same toolset used to create Epic’s blockbuster“Gears of War” series of games as well as the graphically stunning iOS releases“Epic Citadel” and“Infinity Blade.”
UDK’s iOS development feature set includes:
- The full source and content for“Epic Citadel,” plus an additional castle demo map;
- Support for major Unreal Engine 3 desktop features, including the award-winning Unreal Editor and its fully integrated suite of tools including Unreal Kismet, Unreal Cascade and Unreal Matinee;
- Superior rendering systems, including Unreal Lightmass global illumination supported by Unreal Swarm distributed computing;
- Content streaming functionality: Build huge, seamless environments;
- Advanced lighting and shadowing such as per-pixel lighting and real-time shadows;
- Console-quality capabilities: Make games with animations, particle effects and player collision;
- Full Unreal Kismet visual scripting functionality: Create games without having to modify program code;
- Convenient mobile previewer makes it possible to emulate games at native resolution for quick iteration;
- UDK Remote enables iOS devices to serve as wireless controllers with full touch and tilt functionality for testing games on the computer;
- New Unreal Frontend system compiles scripts and deploys builds for multiple platforms with the simple click of a button.
“With the tremendous success of Infinity Blade, we couldn’t be happier to put our free tools into the hands of iOS developers all over the world. We’ve proven what Unreal Engine 3 can accomplish on mobile, and we’re ready to usher in a new wave of amazing handheld games and applications,” said Mark Rein, vice president of Epic Games.
About Unreal Engine 3
The award-winning Unreal Engine is known for its cutting-edge graphics, best-of-breed toolset and scalability across platforms. Unreal Engine 3’s highly mature toolset and content pipeline consistently evolve along with its advanced mobile features, multi-core processor support, optimizations for iOS, Xbox 360® and PlayStation®3 and massive world support. Unreal Engine 3 is designed to accelerate developers' productivity for computer and video games, mobile games and applications, training simulations, 3D visualizations and digital films and television shows. Additional information on Unreal Engine 3 can be obtained through the Unreal Technology website at www.unrealtechnology.com.
About Epic Games
Epic Games, Inc., based in Cary, NC and established in 1991, develops cutting-edge games and cross-platform game engine technology. The company has created multiple million-selling, award-winning titles in its“Unreal” series, including“Unreal Tournament 3” for PC, PlayStation®3 and Xbox 360®. Epic’s "Gears of War" franchise has sold more than 12 million copies worldwide and won more than 50 Game of the Year awards. Epic's Unreal Engine 3 is the four-time winner of and Hall of Fame inductee for Game Developer magazine’s Best Engine Front Line Award. Unreal Engine 3 has also held the Develop Industry Excellence Award in its category for the past three years. Additional information about Epic can be obtained through the Epic Games website at www.epicgames.com.
Epic, Epic Games, Gears of War, Infinity Blade, Unreal, Unreal Development Kit, UDK, Unreal Engine, UE3 and Unreal Tournament are trademarks or registered trademarks of Epic Games, Inc. in the United States of America and elsewhere. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Capstrat (for Epic Games)
Epic Games, Inc.