Female Gamers More Likely to Play App Versions of Console Games

Female Gamers More Likely to Play App Versions of Console
Games

Smartphone versions of popular console games are becoming increasingly common in today’s ‘app’ culture, and according to the results of a new study by a video game price comparison and marketplace site, female video game fans are most likely to download these games on their Smartphones.

The study, conducted by www.Playr2.com, aimed to look more into gamers’ attitudes towards ‘gaming on the move’ following last month’s release of the portable Vita console. 1,231 self-confessed gamers subsequently took part, all aged 18 and over.

Those taking part in the study were asked if they owned a Smartphone with access to downloadable applications, to which 83% of the respondents answered “yes”. These respondents were then asked whether or not they had downloaded ‘app versions of console video games’ on their Smartphones, to which just over two fifths, 41%, answered “yes”.

Of those who had downloaded an app version of a console video game on their Smartphone, 56% were female; compared to the remaining 44% who were male. The results of the study therefore suggested that app versions of video games are more popular amongst female gamers; with more women having downloaded them on their Smartphones than men.

Those taking part who had downloaded app versions of console video games on their Smartphone were subsequently asked to specify what games they had downloaded, of which the ten most common games were as follows:

1)      Tiger Woods

2)      Tetris

3)      Grand Theft Auto 3

4)      Assassin’s Creed

5)      Sonic the Hedgehog

6)      FIFA 12

7)      The Sims

8)      Need for Speed

9)      Command and Conquer

10)   Worms 2

When asked why they had downloaded a console game app, the most popular answer amongst all respondents was ‘in order to have a portable version of the game’; with 51% of gamers taking part claiming this as their main reason for downloading. In contrast, of those who hadn’t downloaded an app version of a video game, the main reason for 67% was the fear of a ‘poor gaming experience’.

The study asked gamers if they believed that Smartphones would ever replace video game consoles as a platform for gaming, to which that vast majority, 74%, said “no”. When asked why, more than two thirds, 67%, simply believed that the gaming experience of playing a video game on a Smartphone could never match that of a console.

Simon Kilby, Founder of Playr2.com, commented on the findings:

“Gaming is becoming more and more portable, and certainly with handheld and Smartphone developments, it’s easier than ever to have access to your favourite video games on the move. With this survey we wanted to look into how gamers view app versions of console games, and it was interesting to find that more female gamers had downloaded them than men, with most simply wanting a ‘portable’ game.”

He continued:

“According to the results, most gamers fear a diminished quality of game when downloading an app version; and it’s not hard to see why. Whilst developers have brought apps a long way, the gaming experience on a Smartphone is far from that of a console; but it’s undeniable that they’re a great fix whilst on the move.”

ENDS

LINK: http://www.Playr2.com

Editor’s Notes

Please contact Emma Kent of 10 Yetis Public Relations Agency on 01452 348211 or Emmak@10yetis.co.uk.

Playr2.com allows users to compare prices on their favourite games, as well as allowing them to buy, sell and swap their games with other members on the site.

Playr2.com was launched in June 2011.  


Games PressGames Press is the leading online resource for games journalists. Used daily by magazines, newspapers, TV, radio, online media and retailers worldwide, it offers a vast, constantly updated archive of press releases and assets, and is the simplest and most cost-effective way for PR professionals to reach the widest possible audience. Registration for the site and the Games Press email digest is available, to the trade only, at www.gamespress.com.