LONDON– 29 July 2009 - One of the most incredible collections of the world’s hottest number one songs is about to launch this fall. Get the crowd singing and the party started with“Lips: Number One Hits,” the newest game in the“Lips” singing franchise exclusively for Xbox 360. Show off your singing chops with friends, harmonize in a duet or belt out those high notes to a diverse collection of 40 global smash hits, spanning genres, generations and countries so that even the pickiest of singers can find their unique pitch.
Available worldwide this fall,“Lips: Number One Hits” features popular songs that have graced the # 1 position on major global charts. Joining previously announced hits from Coldplay, Rihanna, Tokio Hotel, Timbaland feat. OneRepublic, Extreme, Culture Club, MC Hammer, Roy Orbison and Marvin Gaye the full catalog also includes:
• California Love by 2Pac feat. Dr. Dre and Roger Troutman (U.S.): this song earned the late rapper a posthumous Grammy nomination for Best Rap Performance, Duo or Group in 1997
• Barbie Girl by Aqua (Denmark): a breakthrough international hit, this song featured the band’s lead singers as the toy couple Barbie and Ken in the music video
• Just Dance by Lady Gaga feat. Colby O’Donis (U.S.): the debut song of this theatrical pop singer became an international smash hit
• Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears (U.K.): this successful single was written and recorded in two weeks, becoming the band’s first Billboard Hot 100 #1 and peaking at #2 on the U.K. Top 40 chart
• The Fear by Lily Allen (U.K.): from her second album, this song is the artist’s social commentary about the dark side of celebrity and consumer culture
• Don’t Phunk With My Heart by Black Eyed Peas (U.S.): influenced by Indian music, this song sampled the Bollywood cult hit film“Don,” a movie about a man posing as the leader of a gang of international smugglers
• I Don’t Feel Like Dancin’ by Scissor Sisters (U.S.): this song was written with the legendary artist Elton John and features his piano playing in the melody
• Heartless by Kanye West (U.S.): this is the first single in“pop art” music, a new genre which West describes as making pop music in an "artistic" way
• Touch My Body by Mariah Carey (U.S.): this song was Carey's 18th #1 on the U.S. singles charts, which pushed her into second place behind the Beatles as the artist with the most chart-topping singles
• Hey There Delilah by Plain White T’s (U.S.): this song was written as an ode to a girl named Delilah that the band’s singer met only once by chance in NYC
• Always On My Mind by Pet Shop Boys (U.K.): the Daily Telegraph’s music critics ranked the band's cover of this Brenda Lee song as #2 of the all-time best cover songs
• I’m Yours by Jason Mraz (U.S.): while this artist’s music has appeared on the charts since 2003, this single is his first chart-topping hit
• Push the Button by Sugababes (U.K.): this song was the girl group’s fourth #1 single in the U.K. and topped the Eurochart Hot 100 Singles
The complete song listing of artists and songs available on“Lips: Number One Hits” can be found at xbox.com/lips.
In addition to the huge variety of songs available on disc,“Lips” fans will be able customize their“Number One Hits” set list with a theme pack of their choice containing five additional songs, available to download for free on Xbox LIVE. This summer, singers can help decide what themes will be available for“Lips: Number One Hits” by voting for their favorite themes at xbox.com/lips.
“Lips: Number One Hits” and the original“Lips” game combine to create the ultimate singing party, with more songs to keep the fun rocking all night long. But for singers with an insatiable appetite for variety, Xbox LIVE Marketplace has a vast library of tunes that can be downloaded for both titles. New tracks of all genres and artist-specific songs packs are added regularly each week, so personal catalogs can keep growing and growing.“Lips,” combined with the power of Xbox LIVE, makes Xbox 360 the best destination for music game fans.
“Lips,” Xbox 360’s first exclusive singing party game from iNiS, launched November 2008. The second title,“Lips: Number One Hits,” launches this October 2009. More information on“Lips” is available at xbox.com/lips.
For press information, please contact:
Nik Thakkar / 020 3047 4087 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Georgina Edwards / 020 3047 4057 / email@example.com
About Xbox 360
Xbox 360 is a superior video game and entertainment system delivering the best games, unique entertainment features and a unified online gaming network that revolve around gamers. Xbox 360 has a portfolio of more than 300 games in nearly 40 countries. More information can be found online at http://www.xbox.com/xbox360.
About Microsoft Game Studios
Microsoft Game Studios is a leading worldwide publisher and developer of games for the Xbox and Xbox 360 video game systems, the Windows operating systemand online platforms. Comprising a network of top developers, Microsoft Game Studios is committed to creating innovative and diverse games for Windows ( http://www.microsoft.com/games), including such franchises as“Age of Empires,”“Flight Simulator” and“Zoo Tycoon”; Xbox and Xbox 360 ( http://www.xbox.com), including such games as“Gears of War” and franchises such as“Halo,”“Fable,”“Project Gotham Racing” and“Forza Motorsport”; and MSN Games ( http://www.games.msn.com), the official games channel for the MSN network and home to such hits as“Bejeweled” and“Hexic.
About Xbox LIVE
Xbox LIVE is the first and most comprehensive unified online entertainment network seamlessly integrated throughout the entire console experience, making it easy for people to find the friends, games and entertainment they want from the moment they power on their Xbox 360 system. Xbox LIVE connects millions of members across 26 countries to enjoy hundreds of multiplayer games, downloadable games via Xbox LIVE Arcade, free and premium playable game demos, music videos, TV shows and movies in the United States as well as new game levels, characters and vehicles for all their favourite retail games. More information can be found online at http://www.xbox.com/en-us/live.
About Xbox LIVE Arcade
Xbox LIVE Arcade on Xbox 360 is the premier destination for digitally distributed high-definition games. Xbox LIVE Arcade is a fast-growing phenomenon with a diverse library of original development and classic titles from the world’s best independent and established developers and publishers. With a dynamically updated library and free trials for every title, Xbox LIVE Arcade makes it easy for every type of gamer— from casual to hard-core— to get instantly immersed in the fun. Xbox LIVE Arcade also lets friends connect and play these incredible games either from the same room or from around the world via the Xbox LIVE online entertainment network. More information can be found online at http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/livearcade.
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq“MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.
Note to editors: If you are interested in viewing additional information on Microsoft, please visit the Microsoft Web page at http://www.microsoft.com/presspass on Microsoft’s corporate information pages. Web links, telephone numbers and titles were correct at time of publication, but may since have changed. For additional assistance, journalists and analysts may contact Microsoft’s Rapid Response Team or other appropriate contacts listed at http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/contactpr.mspx