London and Dublin – June 6, 2012: Hot on the heels of the Queen’s diamond jubilee last weekend, Lord Alan Sugar has been named the nation’s Diamond Geezer.
According to a nationwide poll by PopCap Games, creator of the world’s #1 puzzle videogame franchise -- the highly polished and brilliantly engaging Bejeweled ® -- Lord Sugar epitomises the top qualities of a Diamond Geezer: loyalty, honesty and reliability.
The nationwide poll looked at who Britons felt best represented the Diamond Geezer, which is defined by the Oxford slang dictionary as, ‘A really wonderful man, helpful and reliable; a gem of a man’. It is a commonly heard extension to ‘diamond’ [Mainly London use] meaning a good ‘solid’ reliable person.
The survey of over 1,000 people revealed
· Lord Alan Sugar pushes David Jason (Only Fools and Horses’ Del Boy) into the nation’s second choice, with Michael Caine in third.
· Over 58% of men would not consider themselves a Diamond Geezer, but nearly half of all women surveyed (over 43%) would date a Diamond Geezer.
· 58% of people would not consider their friends to be Diamond Geezer, but over 44% would see their current partners as being Diamond Geezers.
· Diamond Geezers can be found in business (Lord Sugar), sport (David Beckham), music (Professor Green) and film (Clive Owen, Danny Dyer).
· Interestingly, Michael Caine scored very highly amongst the 18-24 year-old age bracket, possibly due to his role in The Dark Knight (Batman) trilogy.
· Ex-footballer and Hollywood hardman Vinnie Jones scored highly amongst 45-55 year-olds.
The poll also showed that residents of the North East (48%) and Wales (43%) most readily see themselves as Diamond Geezers, more so than those who live in London (31%).
When it comes to the Diamond Geezer’s charms , he would find that ladies from Wales (80%), the South East (75%) and the South West (60%) would be the most likely to go on a date with him. However, only 9% of Northern Ireland and 23.8% of North West of England residents would be receptive to a Diamond Geezer’s advances.
State of the
Diamond Geezer Nation (as polled by over 1,000 people
|Britain’s top 15 Diamond Geezers||Diamond Geezer has the following top traits|
|No 1 – Lord Alan Sugar
No 2 – David Jason
No 3 – Michael Caine
No 4 – Ray Winstone
No 5 – Shane Ritchie
No 6 – Jamie Oliver
No 7 – David Beckham
No 8 – Guy Ritchie
No 9 – Vinne Jones
No 10 – Clive Owen
No 11 – Frank Lampard
No 12 - Jeff Brazier
No 13 – Joe Swash
No 14 – Prof Green
No 15 – Danny Dyer
4. Tells it like it is
7. Tough exterior
8. Glint in their eye
9. Grafter (hard worker)
10. Flashy dresser
11. Ladies’ Man
12. Family Man
|Top Three Ladies’Choice for a Diamond Geezer||A Man’s Diamond Geezer – top three|
|1. David Beckham
2. Shane Ritchie
3. Professor Green
|1. Ray Winstone
2. Guy Ritchie
3. Frank Lampard
Notes to Editors:
The full survey data available on request. Survey polled 1,000 male and female U.K. based respondents and was conducted by One Poll.