One in Seven Gamers Bought Two Copies of GTA V after Becoming ‘Too Impatient’ for Delivery

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SEPTEMBER 2013

New research from an online delivery quote comparison website suggests that one in seven buyers of Grand Theft Auto V (GTA V) within the first week of its release admitted to buying two copies of the game, with ‘getting too impatient to wait for delivery of pre-ordered copy’ revealed as the main reason why.

With a midnight launch and keen levels of consumer anticipation, the videogame Grand Theft Auto V saw a frenzy of interest with the gaming industry and beyond. According to a new study, the frenzy of expectation seemed to get too much for some, as one in seven gamers (14%) ended up with two copies of the game, having both pre-ordered and purchased in-store. Impatience when it came to waiting for their pre-ordered copy to be delivered was revealed to be the main reason why.

The poll, conducted by www.DeliveryQuoteCompare.com, polled 1,123 gamers from around the UK who were aged over 18, as part of research into the use of delivery services. All respondents had purchased a copy of GTA V within the first week of its release.

Respondents were asked whether or not they had pre-ordered their copy of GTA V online or purchased in-store, to which just over half, 52%, said that they had pre-ordered the game online. In contrast, one in seven respondents, 14%, admitted that they had purchased the game ‘both’ through pre-order online and in-store.

Those who had ended up purchasing two copies were then asked why they had both pre-ordered and purchased a copy in-store, to which three quarters, 74%, explained that they had become ‘too impatient for delivery of the game to arrive- so purchased in-store.’ Of these, 42% had queued at midnight to receive their copy.

The study asked, 'What do you plan to do with your second copy?' to which the majority, 49%, said that they simply 'planned to return it' and get the refund. However, a third, 32%, said that they 'planned to sell it on'. Of these, 58% felt that they could 'get a profit' due to demand for the game.

All who had pre-ordered the game were asked how long before the release date they had placed their order, to which the average answer emerged as ‘3.1 months’ in advance. These respondents were then asked 'On launch day, did your copy arrive with you on time?' to which the majority, 72%, claimed that 'yes' their copy did arrive in a timely manner. However, the remaining 28% said that their copy of the game 'arrived late', as their chosen pre-order retailer failed to deliver the product by the agreed date.

When these respondents were further asked, 'How long was the delay that you experienced?' the most common response was 'one day', as 56% of respondents whose game failed to arrive on-time stated that they'd had to wait an extra 24 hours for the product to be delivered. 22% said that they faced a delay of 'two days', whilst 12% said it arrived 'three days' late; with the remainder facing even longer waits.

Those that had decided to buy in-store were asked why this was the case, to which 41% said that they were simply 'too excited' to wait for it to arrive in the post. 30% said that they couldn't cope with 'friends playing it before them’, whilst 21% admitted that they ‘didn’t trust the post to deliver it on-time.’  

Daniel Parry of DeliveryQuoteCompare.com had the following comment to make:

"The majority of us have ordered something online and then looked forward to it being delivered. In some cases, particularly in this case with GTA V, the wait can be for months. In fact with game development fans are often anticipating the release for years beforehand and long ahead of the pre-order option becoming available. In this event it's doubly frustrating when there's a delay on delivery."

He continued:

"It just goes to highlight the importance of reliable delivery. If you've been waiting a long time for something, it's easy for people to think 'well what's one more day', but if you've been anticipating something keenly then one more day seems a long, long time. Especially so if you've booked it off work!"

ENDS

 


Games PressGames Press is the leading online resource for games journalists. Used daily by magazines, newspapers, TV, radio, online media and retailers worldwide, it offers a vast, constantly updated archive of press releases and assets, and is the simplest and most cost-effective way for PR professionals to reach the widest possible audience. Registration for the site and the Games Press email digest is available, to the trade only, at www.gamespress.com.