How can you inspire young people to choose science? A/S Norske Shell is now using mobile entertainment in order to demonstrate that science is fun. The same week as Ormen Lange is celebrating its 5 year anniversary, operator A/S Norske Shell is launching a web portal and a mobile game for iPhone and Android in order to give a simple and action-filled introduction to how an education in science can be used in the oil and gas industry.
The website www.ormenlangeworld.com has been revamped with a new design and new content, and is now made to function on mobile phones and tablets, as well as regular laptops or desktops. The game Pipe Rider is developed as an app, and is freely available both on App Store and Google Play.
Ormen Lange Pipe Rider – An incredible adventure one thousand meters below sea level
Fast paced racing in gas pipelines! You are 1 000 meters below sea level at the Ormen Lange gas field. Your objective is to race as fast as possible through the pipelines to the finish line in England. Use the antifreeze gun to shoot away slurry ice from the gas pipeline and collect power-ups to help you complete the tracks as fast as possible!
www.ormenlangeworld.com is primarily created for young people between the ages of 12 and 24, who are in the process of making educational choices. The website contains both factual information and entertainment about Ormen Lange, and is also meant to be a tool for teachers and students in schools. “The idea behind this web portal is to contribute to recruitment by building knowledge about the oil and gas industry with Ormen Lange as an example. We hope that Ormen Lange World, by making facts and technical content exciting, can contribute to stimulate interest in science and petroleum related subjects amongst the young,” says project coordinator Alice Bergfall in A/S Norske Shell.
6 th of October marks five years since the official opening of Ormen Lange. The web portal “Ormen Lange World” was originally launched in 2009, and had 132.000 visitors in the first year. The website is still well visited, both by users in Norway and the rest of the world. In addition to the game Pipe Rider, Ormen Lange World contains school tasks, films and information about people who work with Ormen Lange.
Digital agency Agens AS has developed the site and the app on behalf of A/S Norske Shell and the Ormen Lange license partners.
Ormen Lange – Fast Facts
• Ormen Lange is one of Norway’s most complex and technologically demanding field developments. No other field extracts gas from such deep water, under such harsh conditions and with such advanced equipment. Ormen Lange is Norway’s second largest gas field and is located at 850 to 1 000 meters sea depth.
• The reservoir is situated 120 kilometers north west of Kristiansund in the Norwegian Sea, almost 3 000 meters below the surface of the sea. All installations at Ormen Lange are located on the ocean floor, and the gas is transported to the land facility at Nyhamna, where it is processed. The gas spends just ten minutes at Nyhamna before it is exported to the UK via one of the world’s longest pipelines.
• The Ormen Lange wells, which are drilled in an area with extreme weather conditions and minus degrees and the ocean floor, is amongst the worlds largest and can produce up to 20 % of UK’s gas consumption. This is equal to Norway’s total energy consumption.
• One of the great challenges of the Ormen Lange development was to lay the pipes over Storegga, a several hundred meters steep under-water landslide, created by a tsunami 8.200 years ago. Both the development and the further expansion of Ormen Lange consist of major sub-projects that require new technology and innovation.
• The license partners of Ormen Lange are A A/S Norske Shell, Petoro AS, Statoil Petroleum AS, DONG E&P Norge AS, ExxonMobil E&P Norway AS.