Cambridge, UK– Tuesday 12 th April 2011– Jagex Games Studio, developer of RuneScape, the world’s most popular free-to-play MMORPG, today announced the much anticipated in-game update to RuneScape’s Clan system.
This update gives clans a real presence in the game, offering new tools to help players organise and administer their clans, as well as ways to advertise their clans and show allegiance to them in RuneScape.
The Clan update will include the following features:
- In-game Clan Support– For the first time players will now be able to create clans in-game and recruit new clanmates, assigning ranks and job titles to their members.
- Additional Clan Chat Channels– This update includes two new chat channels for players: the current 'Clan Chat' system remains as it is, although it will be renamed 'Friends Chat'. The new channel will offer a unique system for players to communicate with fellow clan members (and access to chat on another clan's chat channel as a guest). Players will even be able to keep track of communication in all three channels at the same time.
- Clan Camp– Clan members now have access to a new area on the RuneScape map which will serve as a hub for clans to socialise, recruit and plan. The Clan Camp is the starting point for all the new features and includes everything players need to start a clan, meet with their clan, recruit new members and plan their next adventure.
- Greater Customisations of Clans– Players will now be able to customise their clan with clan mottos, motifs and colours. These will be reflected in clan capes and a new item called the vexillum. The vexillum can be stood in the ground at events to mark that clan’s territory. It can also be inspected to allow others to access essential clan information.
- Clan Web Pages– Each clan will be give a personalised web page which will play host to a list of all clan members, high scores, stats and information about their clan. The clan web pages will also host public and private clan specific forums.
- Rated Clan Wars– Rated Clan Wars, the new clan-specific gameplay content, is a redesigned version of the popular Clan Wars activity, allowing clans to challenge other clans to battle and be rated based on the outcome.
All of the features above will be available for the entire RuneScape community from today.
To enjoy this update or start a clan of your own, head over to www.RuneScape.com.
RuneScape is the world’s most popular free-to-play MMO (as recognised by Guinness World Records), from multiple award-winning independent British development studio Jagex. Set in a richly detailed, medieval fantasy world, RuneScape proudly draws its inspiration from classic role-playing games. RuneScape delivers a contemporary, innovative and original experience for millions of players across the globe every day. RuneScape offers a fully featured free-to-play game, with a popular subscription option of even greater scale and ambition, both running directly within almost any computer’s browser.
Thanks to its character-class-free skill system and elective gameplay, there are no limits to the hero players can become, no quest you cannot complete and no requirement to collaborate with others or face them in player-versus-player combat unless you so choose. RuneScape’s distinctive role-playing style rewards players who think strategically and play smartly. Its witty, intelligent tone, finely balanced gameplay, epic questing and myriad in-world diversions combine to create a game that has earned its place as the most popular free-to-play massively multiplayer online game of all time and continues to push the boundaries of online role-playing as it enters its glorious tenth year.
About Jagex– Just About the Game Experience:
Jagex Games Studio is a multi-award winning games developer and publisher based in Cambridge, England. Jagex specialises in the development of high quality browser-based games and is the largest independent games developer and publisher in the UK.
Jagex has a long-standing reputation for creating the world’s best online games and for developing hugely popular, high quality, accessible, free-to-play games and for providing an unbeatable community experience for millions of players around the world. Jagex has developed and self-published over 40 online titles including the world’s most popular free online multiplayer game, RuneScape.
Global PR Manager
Jagex Games Studio
Tel: +44 (0)844 588 6607