January 12th 2009
Tiga has secured over£125,600 from UK Trade&Investment (UKTI) to support UK games businesses looking to exhibit at four key trade shows in 2009-10.
Through the£125,600, UK games businesses can apply to Tiga to attend GAMEScom in Cologne in September, The Tokyo Games Show in September, Game Connection Europe in Lyon in November and GDC in San Francisco in March 2010.
Richard Wilson, CEO of Tiga, said:
“Tiga will intensify its engagement with policy makers, maximise our industry’s media profile and strengthen the range of benefits available to Tiga members throughout 2009.
“One of Tiga’s principal objectives is to build a range of services that make a real difference to games businesses in order to enhance their opportunities for growth. This in turn will help to realise our vision of making the UK the best place in the world to do games business.
“As an accredited trade organisation, Tiga can work with UKTI’s Tradeshow Access Programme in supporting UK businesses looking to exhibit at overseas trade shows.
“I am delighted that Tiga will be able to help many games businesses and am grateful to UKTI for their confidence in and support for the UK games development sector.”
Aleks Krotoski, New Media Sector Champion of UKTI, said:
“Tiga and UKTI continue to support UK companies seeking new business in a sector that is growing despite the economic downturn.
“As one of the most important games producers in the world, the UK continues to develop unique, high-quality and internationally celebrated products. It's important we continue to attend these events to represent the commitment Britain has to this scene."
UKTI’s Tradeshow Access Programme (TAP) is open to small and medium-sized businesses to enable them to participate in overseas trade fairs. Businesses can apply for grants of up to£1,800 to take part in a list of eligible events.
For more information on the TAP grant on the game shows mentioned, please contact Steff Rickwood at email@example.com. For the full list of overseas events support by UKTI, please visit www.uktradeinvest.gov.uk.
Notes to editors:
1. Tiga is the national trade association that represents games developers in the UK and in Europe. The majority of are members are either independent games developers or in-house publisher owned developers. We also have outsourcing companies, technology businesses and university departments amongst our membership.
2. Tiga's vision is to make the UK the best place in the world to do games business. We focus on three sets of activities: political representation, generating media coverage and developing services that enhance thecompetitiveness of our members. This means that Tiga members are effectively represented in the corridors of power, their voice is heard in the media and they receive benefits that make a material difference to their businesses, including a reduction in costs and improved commercial opportunities.
3. For further information, please contact: Dr Richard Wilson, Tiga CEO on: 0845 0941095; Mob: 07875 939643; or: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Or contact Steff Rickwood, Tiga’s Project Manager, at email@example.com
4. For information about UKTI, see https://www.uktradeinvest.gov.uk
5. Tiga has secured 25 grants at£1,000 to help businesses exhibit at Cologne, 30 grants at£1,000 to assist firms exhibit at Game Connection Europe, 12 grants of£1,800 to help businesses exhibit at the Tokyo Games Show, and 35 grants at£1,400 to support exhibiting firms at GDC.