February 14th, 2012 - As per the Research & Analysis division of analyst firm Forecasting & Analyzing Digital Entertainment, LLC (FADE), Nintendo's newest platform, the 3DS generated approximately $11.1 million USD from 3DS and Virtual Console titles in 2011.
Sales were led by Virtual Console title 'The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening', which sold 339,000 units in 2011, or an estimated $2.3 million USD. Performances were split between classic releases through Virtual Console, 3D remakes, and 3DS Ware titles, as titles from each collection were well-represented in the top 10, adjusted for gross revenue. Other key titles included 3D remake 'Excitebike' which saw an estimated 481,000 units downloaded during the year, with approximately half being during its free promotion in June, resulting in an estimated gross of $1.3 million USD.
Nintendo-published titles dominated the top ten with eight of ten titles being from the console manufacturer. Gameloft's 3DSWare offering 'Let's Golf 3D' placing as the top selling 3rd party title, with an estimated 43,000 units sold through the year, or $356,000 USD in revenues. "Nintendo generated 81% of gross revenues among downloadable titles in 2011, asserting dominance during the year. However, in order for the 3DS market to grow, Nintendo will need to promote 3rd parties in 2012" said Director of Research & Analysis, Benjamin Schlichter.
Estimated Top Selling Titles, by Gross Revenues (Annual, 2011)
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Nintendo) - 338,700 Units / $2.3 Million USD
- Excitebike (Nintendo) - 481,100 Units / $1.3 Million USD
- Super Mario Land (Nintendo) - 230,500 Units / $1.1 Million USD
- Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive! (Nintendo) - 112,700 Units / $969,000 USD
- Pushmo (Nintendo) - 93,300 Units / $634,000 USD
- Kirby's Dream Land (Nintendo) - 84,500 Units / $384,000 USD
- Let's Golf 3D (Gameloft) - 43,200 Units / $356,000 USD
- Donkey Kong (Nintendo) - 82,800 Units / $348,000 USD
- Xevious (Nintendo) - 47,900 Units / $301,000 USD
- Hyu Stone (Poisoft) - 50,300 Units / $293,000 USD
About Forecasting and Analyzing Digital Entertainment, LLC
FADE is a strategic market research and consulting firm focused on electronic entertainment and the emerging download and mobile game markets. With very little information currently available in these markets, FADE allows smaller developers to investigate these new potential sources of revenue and make informed business decisions moving forward. Currently, FADE produces monthly and annual reports for Steam, Xbox Live Arcade, Playstation Network, 3DS, WiiWare & Virtual Console, mobile markets including iPhone, Android, Windows Mobile, and Blackberry and downloadable content for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. For more information, please visit http://www.fadellc.com.