3DS sales leapt up last week in Japan on the back of Mario Golf: World Tour.
In total 42,500 3DS consoles were sold for the week ending May 4th, well ahead of PS Vita and Vita TV, which has combined sales of 25,500. All data courtesy of Famitsu.
It’s another 10,000 week-on-week jump for 3DS, which shot up by the same amount last week thanks to the arrival of Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (No.2 last week, No.4 this week).
Mario Golf, however, could only manage second place as it’s a return to the top for Yokai Watch on 3DS.
Yokai Watch is an RPG that launched in July last year by Professor Layton developer Level-5. It has spawned a comic strip and earlier this year became an anime TV series, and has been a mainstay at the top of the Famitsu Japanese Top Ten this year. It’s now closing in on 1m sales and a sequel – Yokai Watch 2 – is set to arrive this July.
Level-5 is now considering bringing the series to the US and America.
Here are the hardware numbers:
Nintendo 3DS LL: 36,050
PS Vita: 23,966
Wii U: 8,217
Nintendo 3DS: 6,597
PS Vita TV: 1,640
Xbox 360: 146
And here are the Top Ten games:
1. Yokai Watch (Level-5) 3DS – 70,021
2. Mario Golf: World Tour (Nintendo) 3DS – 58,743
3. Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment (Bandai Namco) Vita – 26,852
4. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (Square Enix) 3DS – 24,796
5. Mario Party: Island Tour (Nintendo) 3DS – 24,596
6. Kirby: Triple Deluxe (Nintendo) 3DS – 11,080
7. Style Savvy: Trendsetters Tokimeki Up! (Nintendo) 3DS – 8,289
8. NES Remix 1+2 (Nintendo) Wii U – 8,173
9. Child of Light (Ubisoft) ETC – 7,857
10. Dai-3-ji Super Robot Taisen Z: Jigoku-hen (Bandai Namco) PS3 – 6,966