It’s the first time in three years that the trendy racer has failed to hit the top spot at the first time of asking – and Pro Street fails to match the week one sales numbers of its immediate predecessors Carbon and Most Wanted.
Activision’s Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare slips one spot to third position after a 46 per cent drop in sales, one place ahead of EA’s The Simpsons Game in fourth, also down one place.
Other new entries in the Top 40 include Activision’s Guitar Hero III in tenth, Microsoft’s Xbox 360 RPG Mass Effect at number 12, Sega’s Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games in 14th, Eidos’ Kane & Lynch: Dead Men in 16th spot and Midway's Unreal Tournament III in 40th.
The Top 10 in full:
1. Assassin’s Creed (Ubisoft)
2. Need for Speed: Pro Street (EA)
3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision)
4. The Simpsons Game (EA)
5. Dr. Kawashima’s Brain Training (Nintendo)
6. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami)
7. Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
8. WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2008 (THQ)
9. FIFA 08 (EA)
10. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Activision)