A new crowdfunding platform built specifically for games developers is now live.
Gambitious is selling itself as “the first professional crowdfunding platform exclusively dedicated to the video game industry”. Though it takes its inspiration from the likes of Kickstarter, it differs in that it provides for both fan donations and equity investment.
The launch lineup includes seven titles, with a project by Duke Nukem’s 3D Realms also on the way.
Equity investing options are currently only legal in the EU, but it is expected that the practice will be legalised in the US in 2013. Until then American backers will only be able to participate via donations.
“Crowdfunding is causing a great seismic shift in how projects get funded, however, there are risks of crash-and-burn due to unfulfilled projects and unfinished games,” Gambitious CEO Paul Hanraets explained.
“Unlike other crowdfunding platforms, Gambitious is designed specifically for the video game industry and ups the ante of developer credibility, investor engagement and development cycle understanding.”
The day one lineup is as follows:
· Candy Kids by Abstraction Games, The Netherlands
· Cosmic DJ by Gl33k, USA
· Mushroom Men by Red Fly Studio, USA
· Piratoons by Fishing Cactus, Belgium
· Super Micro Heroes by Mutant Games, Spain
· Tink by Mimimi Productions, Germany
· Train Fever by Urban Games, Switzerland
Upcoming projects include:
· Earth No More by 3D Realms, USA
· Pantzer Pets by Gamundo, The Netherlands
· Stronghold Crusaders 2 by Firefly Studios, England