Sony has given its DualShock controller a revamp for the PS4, the firm revealed at last night’s event.
The DualShock 4 retains the six-axis sensor and adds a touch pad at the centre of the controller designed to give players a new means of interacting with games.
A light bar at the top of the controller glows with different colours, giving players another means of identifying one another and will also alert gamers to various in-game information, such as highlighting when a player has critically low health.
The luminous bar can also be detected by the PlayStation Eye to accurately reflect the positioning of a group of players.
Alongside a built-in speaker and stereo headset jack, other changes to the DualShock include the merging of Select and Start into one Options button and the addition of a new Share button. By pressing Share, players can immediately show off their gameplay to friends and other players through streaming services, such as Ustream.
Users can also use the button to share accomplishments, trophies and gameplay to Facebook, without having to convert data formats.
The controller can now be charged while PS4 is on standby or through a dedicated charging station. It can also be powered with a smartphone charger via USB.
Here are the DualShock 4 wireless controller specifications in full:
- External Dimensions: Approx. 162mm x 52mm x 98mm (tentative, excludes largest projection)?
- Weight: Approx. 210g (tentative)?
- Keys / Switches: PS button, SHARE button, OPTIONS button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Left/Right), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), R1/L1/R2/L2 button, Left stick / L3 button, Right stick / R3 button, Pad Button Touch Pad 2 Point Touch Pad, Click Mechanism, Capacitive Type Motion Sensor Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer)
- Other Features: Light Bar, Vibration, Built-in Mono Speaker Ports USB (Micro B), Extension Port, Stereo Headset Jack Wireless Communication Bluetooth Ver2.1+EDR Battery Type Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery Voltage DC3.7V (tentative)?
- Capacity: 1000mAh (tentative)