Ahead of its UK release on June 11th, Nintendo’s Wii platform sequel Super Mario Galaxy 2 has enjoyed a strong debut at Japanese retail.
The game sold an impressive 340,000 units in its first three days – around 85k more than the first Super Mario Galaxy managed in the same time period upon its release.
Elsewhere in the Japanese Top Ten, other notable entries include Capcom’s Lost Planet 2 in sixth, Konami’s Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and World Cup PES spin-off World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010: Blue Samurai Challenge at numbers seven and nine respectively.
There’s also a Top Ten spot for Cave’s 2D bullet-hell shooter DeathSmiles II X.
Here’s the chart in full (with unit sales in brackets), as published by Edge Online:
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo) – 340,000
2. Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin (Bandai Namco) – 81,000
3. Let’s Make A Pro Soccer Club! DS World Challenge 2010 (Sega) – 50,000
4. Medarot DS: Kabuto / Kuwagata (Rocket Company) – 50,000
5. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 (Square Enix) – 34,000
6. Lost Planet 2 (Capcom) – 34,000
7. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (Konami) – 25,000
8. World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010: Blue Samurai Challenge (Konami) – 22,000
9. New Super Mario Bros Wii (Nintendo) – 16,000
10. DeathSmiles II X (Cave) – 16,000