The colourful fighter outsold its nearest rival, Capcom’s PS3 version of its gothic slasher Devil May Cry 4, by a ratio of 4-to-1, according to data from Japanese analysts Media Create.
However, Nintendo didn’t have it all its own way. Two PS2 titles, Namco’s Tales of Destiny: Director’s Cut and Banpresto’s Haruhi Suzumiya’s Wonderment edge above Wii Fit, which slips to fifth place.
The Xbox 360 version of Devil May Cry 4 and Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed also perform strongly.
The Japanese Top Ten for the week ending February 3rd:
1. Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii)
2. Devil May Cry 4 (PS3)
3. Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut (PS2)
4. Haruhi Suzumiya's Wonderment (PS2)
5. Wii Fit (Wii)
6. Disgaea 3 (PS3)
7. Devil May Cry 4 (360)
8. Mario & Sonic at the Olympics (DS)
9. Assassin's Creed (PS3)
10. World Soccer Winning Eleven: Ubiquitous Evolution 2008 (PSP)