The NPD Group has released its retail sales report for July, confirming another year-over-year decline across the board.
Hardware sales brought in $99.4m for the period – a 34 per cent decrease versus the $150.9m earned over the same stretch in 2012.
Accessories saw just a three per cent loss at $133.4m in sales for July, while Software saw $210.1m for the month – a 19 per cent decline compared to the $260.8m last year.
Nintendo's 3DS saw a 14 per cent year-over-year increase in sales, despite the general decline, along with selling 45 per cent more games last month than in July of 2012. Nintendo’s handheld has now held the top spot in the hardware category for three months in a row.
NCAA Football 14 was the best-selling game for July, as well as the only game for July to make the charts top ten. Here’s the list:
- NCAA Football 14 (360, PS3)
- Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (360)
- The Last of Us (PS3)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (360, PS3, Wii U, PC)
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS)
- Far Cry 3 (360, PS3, PC)
- Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)
- Injustice: Gods Among Us (360, PS3, Wii U)
- NBA 2k13 (360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, PSP, PC)
- Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (360, Wii, NDS, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, Vita, PC)