This week saw KPMG releasing its annual outlook on the Indian games industry; EA Hyderabad saw job cuts on account of global restructuring in the publisher’s social games business; and Pune’s Rolocule Games announced a new technology that delivers the living room console experience using the iPhone and Apple TV.
Check out those and other stories that made the news in India this week courtesy MCVuk.com’s sister site MCV India:
- The Indian games industry grew to Rs 15 billion ($277m) in 2012, recording a growth of 16% over the previous year. It is estimated that the industry will grow at a 22% CAGR to reach Rs 42 billion ($776m) by 2017. FULL STORY
- Around 50 employees at EA’s Hyderabad studio have been laid off following news that the publisher was pulling the plug on some of its social games. EA, while not denying the reports, refused to give specifics on the layoffs in India. FULL STORY
- Rolocule Games has announced its next project – rolomotion, which combines the iPhone and Apple TV to bring a motion-gaming experience to your TV without the need for a dedicated console. The tech is designed to let users play their iPhone/iPod Touch games on their TVs using what appears to be some form of AirPlay Mirroring. FULL STORY
- Sony has finally begun manufacturing PS3 games in India, with the first lot of locally manufactured games set to hit stores by the end of the month. Initially, local manufacturing will be focussed on Sony’s first-party PS3 Essentials range, but upcoming new releases like The Last of Us will also be manufactured locally. FULL STORY
- Disney UTV has release IPL Cricket Fever 2013 for Android, a free-to-play game featuring all the official teams and players from the current IPL season. It’s swipe-based gameplay revolves around scoring the most runs in one, three, or five-over games. FULL STORY
- E-xpress Interactive is holding Injustice: Gods Among Us tournaments across four cities in India to tie into the DC superhero brawler’s release. The tournaments will run from 19th to 21st April in Chennai, Delhi, Bangalore, and Mumbai. FULL STORY
MCV India is a new digital venture from Intent Media, the UK publishing company behind the world’s leading video game b2b brand, MCV. Make sure you sign up to the MCV India newsletter. To find out how MCV India can support your business year-round across its online, email and social channels, contact Lesley Blumson on +44 (0) 1992 535 647 firstname.lastname@example.org.