NPD Group has released the sales figures for 2012, showing a further decline in traditional retail sales.
- The total market data for Australian traditional retail sales is at AUD$1.161 billion for 2012, down from a peak of AUD$1.7 billion in 2010.
- The Interactive Games and Entertainment Association, as well as the Game Developers' Association of Australia have pointed to Telsyte figures suggesting that the decline is more than made up for by digital downloads and subscriptions.
- The average price of games sold in Australia in 2012 represents a larger year-on-year decline than in any year since 2004, largely due to Skylanders toys and lower hardware prices.
- Overall multiplatform top ten charts are here for both Australia and New Zealand, with Call of Duty: Black Ops II topping both.
- Playstation edges out Microsoft for units and value to be the bestselling console in Australia in 2012.
- Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition has received an Australian classification under the new R18+ regime, meaning it'll finally be allowed to be sold down under.
- Draft guidelines for the new federal AUD$20 million Interactive Games Fund have been released.
- Sydney-based developer Nnooo! (Spirit Hunters, EscapeVektor) has written an open letter to New South Wales MP Andrew Stoner, asking him to keep the state games fund active.
- Ron Gilbert (Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island, The Cave) has been confirmed as the international keynote for PAX Australia.
- New Zealand-created title Super Monsters Ate My Condo! has been nominated for a BAFTA in the category of Best Mobile or Handheld.
- MP Louise Asher spoke at the official ANZ launch of Real Racing 3, which was first showcased by creators Firemonkeys at the Apple iPhone 5 launch in California.
- Apple, Adobe and Microsoft have been called before the Parliamentary IT Pricing Inquiry to answer for the high prices of tech software in Australia.
- Aliens: Colonial Marines broke its street date in Australia, being sold on the Saturday before its Tuesday launch, giving it several days on sale before the poor reviews started coming in.