Rayman creator admits he doesn't like Mario games

Ben Parfitt
Rayman creator admits he doesn't like Mario games

Michel Ancel, the creator of the popular Rayman series, has made the surprise admission that he doesn’t like Mario platformers.

“I will tell you something terrible – I don't really enjoy playing Mario games,” he told Gamasutra. “I don't like gliding, I don't like its inertia, and I don't like not being able to give some slaps.

“It's a fabulous series, and I understand that people love it, but it's not my cup of tea. I used to prefer Ghosts n' Goblins, Heart of Darkness, Another World – games with a focus on the narrative side.

“Beyond that, I find Mario's controls very interesting, but I don't buy it. I can't help but seeing the ropes of the game, even if it works. The game is thrilling, obviously.”

At least he admits it’s a terrible opinion.

Ancel’s credits list includes Beyond Good & Evil, Peter Jackson’s King Kong and Ubisoft’s Raving Rabbids titles.

Tags: games , rayman , mario , like , ancel , don't

• RSS

Add a new comment

You need to be logged in to post comments. If you do not have an account then please register.

Comments

6 comments

Kill the heretic!!

Paul Arkz

Paul Arkz INDUSTRY
Dec 6th 2011 at 3:06PM

0 1

shock horrible designer bashs the more successfull better recieved direct competition. I got a promo copy of rayman origins and played it for about 30minutes. its terrible, everything he said about mario applies more accuratly to the latest rayman.
half of the platformers on xbox aracde and psn are better than it at a fraction of the price i.e any pixel junk game. some many decent games designer but everyone too scared to hire anyone at the moment.

Bren Adams

Bren Adams INDUSTRY
Dec 6th 2011 at 10:57PM

0 0

I don't think he was bashing Mario.. he appreciates why people like it and said its not his cup of tea. Rayman Origins is a wonderful game too

Kai Howard

Kai Howard ELITE GAMER
Dec 7th 2011 at 10:25AM

0 0

Well,... I DO think he was bashing mario, as he clearly hates mario and just put those u turn statements so he doesnt offend/upset anyone in the industry. if you remove the defensive bull his says this.

I don't really enjoy playing Mario games I don't like gliding, I don't like its inertia, and I don't like not being able to give some slaps, it's not my cup of tea. I used to prefer Ghosts n' Goblins, Heart of Darkness, Another World but I don't buy it. I can't help but seeing the ropes of the game.

Bren Adams

Bren Adams INDUSTRY
Dec 7th 2011 at 12:38PM

0 0

How come hardly anyone comments on some of the subjects on here?? I am relatively new to the industry (3 years), however i do have 3 indie shops selling games and doing very well thank you, many more to come.. hello, hello, anyone out there?????

david evans

david evans
Dec 10th 2011 at 11:10AM

0 0

because hardly anyone comes on this site lol

Paul Arkz