2009 may be already be fading into the distance but the arrival of a brand new decade has not bought with it a change of fortunes for all those hoping to topple Activision’s Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 from the top of the ELSPA GfK-ChartTrack All Formats Top 40.
Its closest competitor remains Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed II, though the free-running romp has to settle for second spot. The rest of the top five comprises Sega’s Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (3rd), Nintendo’s Wii Sports Resort (4th) and Wii Fit Plus (5th).
Festive sales and retail bundling see several re-entries outside of the Top Ten including Sony’s Uncharted 2: Among Thieves in 15th, Eidos’ Batman: Arkham Asylum in 16th, Konami’s Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 in 19th and Namco Bandai’s Tekken 6 at number 20.
Here's the ELSPA GfK-ChartTrack All Formats Top Ten in full (for the week ending January 2nd):
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision)
2. Assassin’s Creed II (Ubisoft)
3. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Sega)
4. Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
5. Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
6. FIFA 10 (EA)
7. Just Dance (Ubisoft)
8. New Super Mario Bros Wii (Nintendo)
9. Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
10. James Cameron’s Avatar: The Game (Ubisoft)