When two icons of Japanese gaming unite, you can guarantee a big reaction. And that is what seems to have happened with the launch of Hyrule Warriors.
The combination of Koei Tecmo's Warriors franchise and Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda series has resulted in unit sales of just under 79,000 (No.2 in the charts). And Wii U hardware sales has improved to 17,717 units sold.
All data is courtesy of Famitsu.
Of course, nothing can dislodge Yokai Watch 2 from the top of the charts. The game has already shifted well over 2m units, smashing the sales set by its predecessor, which was 1.2m. It's made by Level-5 (Professor Layton, Inazuma, Ni No Kuni, Fantasy Life) as well, and the acclaimed Japanese studio plans to launch it over in the West next year.
Here's the Top Ten for the week ending August 17th:
1. Yokai Watch 2: Ganso/ Honke (Level-5) 3DS – 153,822
2. Hyrule Warriors (Koei Tecmo) Wii U – 78,773 (New)
3. Dragon Ball Heroes Ultimate Mission 2 (Bandai Namco) 3DS – 31,289
4. Yoshi's New Island (Nintendo) 3DS – 26,774
5. Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) Wii U – 25,521
6. Monster Hunter Frontier G Beginner's Package (Capcom) Vita – 22,892
7. Taiko Drum Master: Don to Katsu no Jiku Daiboken (Bandai Namco) 3DS – 13,897
8. Ultra Street Fighter IV (Capcom) PS3 – 12,487
9. Senran Kagura 2: Shinku (Marvelous) 3DS – 10,383
10. Yokai Watch (Level-5) 3DS – 10,070
Weekly Hardware Sales:
Nintendo 3DS: 8,266
Nintendo 3DS LL: 41,758
PlayStation Vita: 22,606
PlayStation Vita TV: 1,262
Wii U: 17,717
Xbox 360: 137