Attention all Indies:
Steel Storm, the premier franchise by Kot in Action Creative Artel, is opening its doors to 3rd party (including indie) game developers.
Steel Storm: Burning Retribution is a top down action shooter with old school spirit. It marks the return of top-down shooters with new twists. The game has score oriented competitive gameplay, and is designed for people who like fast paced action, hordes of smart enemies, destructible worlds and ground shaking explosions.
We see an opportunity to bring Steel Storm to other genres and platforms and artistic/media formats, but we are working on new games (See our blog at http://kot-in-action.com for details on these!) and cannot split our time between two major projects. Therefore we look to other game developers to keep the torch moving.
Steel Storm is:
- 8.6 - Desura
- 4/5 - Linux Game Tome
- 7.1 - Metacritic User Rating
- In the Top 100 Indies of the Year 2010 (ModDB)
- Released on Steam, Desura, GamersGate, Ubuntu Software Center, OnLive, and elsewhere.
- Included in the Humble Indie Bundle #3
What will game developers receive?
- A license to create games within the Steel Storm universe - within a specific genre, platform, or media type (i.e. not just games, but machinima etc.)
- Access to art, audio, design, production, QA, and community management resources.
- Assistance in publishing the game on digital distribution platforms.
What must game developers do?
- Have a proven team and an engine selected.
- Have at least one released title or mod, which will be evaluated by Kot in Action
- Be able and willing to pay an upfront license fee for one or more genres/platforms/media types. (Very flexible terms; see below for more on this)
- Be able and willing to pay a percentage license fee over time (Very flexible terms).
- Use and give credit for the trademarks licensed (i.e. Kot in Action must receive credit and be acknowledged and any Steel Storm logo modifications to accommodate new titles must be approved by Kot in
- All resources provided by Kot in Action are only to be used within projects licensed by Kot in Action.
What we are working on to assist:
- We are working through our contact lists for additional resources within the development space that may be able to contribute to new projects.
- Design - we have the Towers of Doom mod as an alpha within the Steel
- get paid)
- As part of this program we are researching production, QA, community management, business, legal, accounting, marketing and PR services and we are working to find funding to pay the upfront license fees for a limited number of developers and potentially additional funding or publishing resources.
What do YOU need to do?
Contact us! Be ready to, of course.
Please let us know in the subject if you are:
1) Representing a team
2) Looking to join a licensee’s team (We are not currently hiring)
3) An investor or other resource that would like to sponsor or otherwise provide funding/publishing/development resources.
4) Press looking for more information or an interview about this project.