Epsom, 21st May, 2013 – Slitherine and Games Workshop ® are pleased to announce Warhammer ® 40,000 ®: Armageddon™. Having announced an exciting partnership with Games Workshop a few weeks ago, Slitherine are delighted to release further details. Slitherine have acquired the exclusive rights to Games Workshop’s “Battle for Armageddon” setting in order to create a series of amazing multiplatform, turn-based, hex-based games. Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon will make full use of Slitherine's expertise in creating compelling and challenging strategy gaming experiences.
The initial game is set during the Second War of Armageddon and players will lead the Imperial forces of the Armageddon Steel Legion and Space Marines ® from the Ultramarines, Blood Angels and Salamanders Chapters against Ghazghkull Thraka’s massive Ork Waaagh! invasion through over 30 scenarios, on the hostile terrain of the planet and its gigantic Hive Cities.
"It is very exciting to see a game like this come alive - I just can't wait to play it!", said Iain McNeil, Development Director of the Slitherine Group. "It's been almost 15 years since a turn-based strategy game set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe has been released and we think it is now time to deliver that experience to all fans around the world".
“The Battle for Armageddon is a classic event in the lore of the Warhammer 40,000 universe, having been detailed in games, models and novels over the past 20 years.” said Jon Gillard, Head of Licensing at Games Workshop. “Slitherine's masterful use of their classic digital wargame style applied to this seminal setting will delight fans of both.”
The game is currently in development for PC and iOS and will release in the first quarter of 2014.
Main features of the game include:
- The game portrays the Second War for Armageddon™ in great detail, from the initial Ork landings to the final liberation of the planet;
- It contains a large branching campaign with 30 major scenarios, plus additional 5 tutorial scenarios that explore the story in detail;
- A complex plot, which can develop during a mission, right in the middle of battle, creating an engaging story line with unexpected twists;
- Players lead Imperial troops of the Armageddon™ Steel Legion, with supporting assets from a number of Space Marine chapters against the ferocious Orks;
- Fight alongside Commissar Yarrik and Commander Dante against the cunning Ork Warboss Ghazghkull Thraka;
- Carry over battle-hardened veterans from scenario to scenario, using their experience and upgrading their equipment;
- Detailed combat model with terrain, weather and morale effects;
- Extensive modding options delivered through a powerful and easy-to-use game editor.
- Over 35 scenarios;
- Over 100 unit types, with unique roles, stats and special abilities;
- 20 different units stats;
- A separate set of maps are designed and balanced specifically for multiplayer via Slitherine's PBEM++ system.
About the Slitherine Group
The Slitherine Group is the world’s leading producer and publisher of digital wargames and strategy games. Under the Slitherine ( www.slitherine.com), Matrix Games ( www.matrixgames.com) and Ageod ( www.ageod.com) brands it has published literally hundreds of games, with many award-winning titles in its portfolio and spanning all digital platforms, from home consoles to modern Smartphone’s and Tablets. Slitherine is also involved with book publishing, board gaming and works with a wide array of key licensing partners, such as HISTORY®, MILITARY HISTORY®, Horrible Histories™, Showtime, BBC, Osprey, Scholastic, Buzz Aldrin Enterprises and many others to deliver the best blend of historical accuracy in an exciting and entertaining way. Together the Group companies form the world’s largest organization specializing in this important and vibrant niche. The Slitherine Group’s mission over the coming years is to lead the way in innovation and growth in an ever expanding segment of the entertainment industry.
About Games Workshop
Games Workshop® Group PLC (LSE:GAW.L) is based in Nottingham, UK. Games Workshop designs, manufactures, retails, and distributes its range of Warhammer® and Warhammer® 40,000® games, miniature soldiers, novels and model kits through more than 400 of its own Hobby centres, the Internet and independent retail channels in more than 50 countries worldwide. Further details on the company can be obtained at www.games-workshop.com
Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon © Games Workshop Limited 2013. Games Workshop, GW, Warhammer 40,000, Armageddon, GW, the Games Workshop logo, the Double headed/Imperial Eagle device, Warhammer, 40K, Warhammer 40,000 and the Warhammer 40,000 device the foregoing marks’ respective logos and all associated marks, logos, names, places, characters, creatures, races and race insignia, illustrations and images from the Warhammer 40,000 game setting are either ®, TM and/or © Games Workshop Ltd 2000-2013, variably registered in the UK and other countries around the world. All Rights Reserved to their respective owners.