Who's running it?
The City of Ballarat as part of the Ballarat Innovation Festival, with the support of Multi Media Victoria, University of Ballarat and the Game Developers Association of Australia (GDAA) are running an electronic games focused event for the Ballarat Region. With support from Ballarat University and sponsorship from Telstra, Ballarat GiG is looking even bigger this year. Addictive Agency manages the event.
The event is to highlight the potential career options within the gaming industry, and to expose and highlight the games industry as a legitimate and viable career option for the community. On the Friday there will be dedicated presentations from some of Australia’s leading game developers. There will also be extensive course information on where and what to study.
Who is Ballarat GiG for?
Ballarat GiG is for anyone wanting to get more information on how to get into the games industry. It has information for both students and parents. Ballarat GiG is also for anyone that is inot games. There will be some of the hottest latest games to play and lots of contests and events to win.
Ballarat GiG is also for any gameplayers with the initial qualifiers for the Australian events for World Cyber Games.
There are two distinct elements:
1. Careers&Industry Opportunities;
2. Having fun! , Playing and winning with WCG qualifiers, (enter at http://www.guf.com.au/wcgvic.php )
When and where is it on?
Mining Exchange, Lydiard Street Ballarat - May 16&17 2007
What does it cost?
Free to all
Ballarat GiG: Get into Games Career Highlights
The latest in Games demos plus industry representatives talking about the products and job opportunities.
• GDAA, Game Developer Association of Australia presentation
• Blue Tongue studios (nickelodeon, THQ)
• Infinite interactive present the Australian game of the year for 2007, Warlords Puzzle Quest
• Film Victoria Game Development Funding
• Ballarat University Games Course details
• Ballarat TAFE Games Course details
• IRGurus tell us about the move to Transmission Games
• Marketing, PR and eSports for video games
• Qantm College Games Course details
• Third Wave to present WAR WORLD on 360 XBL
Play the latest and hottest games available. This includes games on Wii, 360, PC and PS3. Ballarat GiG will also be holding the initial qualifiers for the Australian WCG (World Cyber games) Championships. And do not miss the opportunity to enter the Inaugural Ballarat GiG Guitar Hero Idol Contest. Certainly one of the most entertaining events to watch!!
Ballarat is ideally located to service a large portion of the Victorian Regional population. With the investment in educational facilities, from the University to supporting TAFE, and specialised institutes, the City has focused on the development of gaming and multimedia pathways for its youth. There is a current shortage of talent within the Australian Game Developers sector. Local Government and education are committed to supporting the industry via investment in skills and training and potential business and career opportunities
Entry for WCG Victorian Qualifiers :
$25 per person
Register at: http://www.guf.com.au/wcgvic.php
Entries close Sunday May 11, 2008
Total prize pool:
$5,500 worth of flights, accommodation and an automatic position in the WCG Australian finals in Sydney (August 8-10).
• Call of Duty 4 (5 v 5 Team FPS)
• DotA (5 v 5 Team RTS)
• Warcraft III (1 v 1 RTS)
• Halo 3 (4 v 4 Team FPS)
• Project Gotham Racing 4 (1 v 1 Racing)
• Guitar Hero 3 (1 v 1 Music)
Virtual Fighter 5 (1 v 1 Fighting)
Martin Wilkes (Tod)
Ballarat GiG: Get Into Games
M: +61 (0) 421 568 434