Chromancer is a browser-based trading card game releasing in Winter of 2013. The game is pioneering a sub-genre called “adaptive strategy TCG”.
In Chromancer, the usual structures that define play in cardgames – the deck, discard pile and resource pile – are actually brought into the game and placed on the game board. Attacking and defending these drives gameplay. For each structure that is destroyed, the player can no longer perform the corresponding action (drawing cards, saving resources from turn to turn, etc.). This requires players to constantly adjust their strategy during the course of the game, hence the adaptive element.
Beyond gameplay, Chromancer will feature an unrestricted in-game economy that treats copies of cards as persistent virtual goods . They are limited in supply and can be traded to anyone anytime for any in-game commodity/currency. This is exactly as it would be in real life.
Players assume the roles of chromancers in the game. These are powerful arcanists that tap into primal energy called chroma. They summon powerful spells and creatures in order to vanquish their foes. Chroma is a highly contested source of energy, and the focal point of chromancy duels.
Chromancer currently features a non-published alpha build with implemented mechanics. The team is running a crowdfunding campaign on kickstarter throughout month of August in order to complete development. Details on the campaign and updates can be found at www.chromancer.com/kickstarter.
A few important facts:
· Release Date: Winter 2013
· Platform: Any device that has browser functionality.
· Price: Free-to-play, with in-game currency sold through the game store to support card purchases. Will also feature a subscription service offering players a steady stream of cards at a discount, among other benefits.
· 300 cards slated for initial release
Card Artwork, Screenshots, Video
The chromancer Press Kit can be found at www.chromancer.com/press and includes all our artwork to date, screenshots and other relevant information.
Additionally, here are some helpful links:
· First livestream introducing gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PA5gY0A5Ls
· Kickstarter video on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ap1K9ZTUw0
· Workshop with all card artwork to click through: http://chromancer.com/readarticle/WORKSHOP/5206a6e235d3f8272c00000f
The Chromancer Team can be reached at any of the following outlets for questions, feedback, or to arrange interviews with the press:
About The Started Hare LLC
The Started Hare LLC is a small indie dev studio that was brought together with the express purpose of launching its flagship product, Chromancer.
The team includes players at the very top of international play in online and offline collectible card games, and with a diverse set of professional backgrounds including game design, tech, art and fantasy writing. They are based in Washington DC, with partners in San Francisco, Athens and London.