UTRECHT, THE NETHERLANDS, May, 3 rd, 2012
"As the Village Turns" is a narrative adventure flash game, strongly focusing on a philosophical dilemma. It features a dialogue system with over 1400 lines of text, 18 villagers who all have their own stories to tell and react to the things that happen in the village and a unique abstract art style.
Technical Director and Co-Founder Thijmen Bink about As the Village Turns: “We celebrate player choice. We finished Mass Effect 3 and thought: We can do better. We wanted to explore the possibilities of making a short narrative focused game. As the Village Turns is a game about reciprocity. All choices in the game have an impact on the story and will develop into a unique ending. This impact can be seen in the dialogues with the villagers and of course the endings of the game.”
You play Mihail, who lives in a small village deep in the Romanian mountains. His declining condition makes it hard for him to visit all of his family, friends and neighbors and so he has to start making choices. But choices have consequences and for Mihail these choices will become harder and harder every day.
Created in roughly a week and a half, “As the Village Turns” is the second game to be released under the Light label of indie game developer Digital Dreams. “A Tale by Alex” was the first game on this label.
Also announcing: Cowbeam for iOS on their Light label. Check out the concept art! (link)
Digital Dreams has been working hard for the past few months on a new casual title for iOS, named “Cowbeam”. To celebrate the announcement, we released artwork from Cowbeam, which you can find on our site. Expect more information very soon!
END OF PRESS RELEASE
About Digital Dreams
Digital Dreams is an indie game studio consisting of developers with a background in Triple-A game development.
We want to reach out to a large and varied audience, giving them unique, meaningful and memorable experiences, by always striving for the highest quality, continuous innovation and creative, intriguing and holistic game designs.
Digital Dreams is located in Utrecht, the Netherlands, at the Dutch Game Garden. Other companies like Vlambeer (Super Crate Box), Ronimo (Swords and Soldiers, Awesomenauts) and Monobanda (Bohm) are situated here as well.
The Digital Dreams Light label is a sub-label of Digital Dreams which makes small, bite size games.
The company is currently working on Digital Dreams Light productions strongly leaning on narrative design, as side projects for their main project, a downloadable console / PC title.
About the game
"As the Village Turns" plays in a small Romanian village deep in the mountains, where Mihail lives. He lives amongst friends, but is not able to visit them a lot because of his condition; He cannot spend of a lot of time in the sun which means he has to choose with whom to speak during the day. The biggest choice however, is presented during the night...
As the Village Turns features:
· A dialogue system with over 1400 lines of text
· 18 villagers who all have their own stories to tell and react to the things that happen in the village
· A unique abstract art style
- Visit http://www.digitaldreamsgames.com/portfolio/cowbeam/ for the Cowbeam game page, including the just released concept art
- Visit http://www.digitaldreamsgames.com/portfolio/as-the-village-turns/ for the game, official screenshots and the trailer
- Use the #AtVT or #Cowbeam hashtag to join the discussion on Twitter
- Visit http://www.digitaldreamsgames.com/contact/press/ for all press affairs
- Visit http://www.digitaldreamsgames.com/ for the latest company news or follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/digitaldreamzzz or like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Digital-Dreams/189659127738416