For immediate release: Wednesday 12 October 2011
Dundee’s two universities are strengthening the city’s historic ties with India this week as they jointly welcome a high-level delegation from one of that country’s leading centres of education and research.
Two deans from the Maharashtra Academy of Engineering Education and Research (MIT Pune), are visiting the University of Dundee and the University of Abertay Dundee tomorrow (Thursday 13 October).
Professor Anant Chakradeo, Dean of Design Habitat in MIT Pune’s Institute of Design, and Dr Milind Pande, Project Director in MIT Pune’s School of Telecom Management, will visit various departments in Dundee and Abertay to meet staff and students and discuss further collaborations.
Abertay and Dundee signed a range of agreements with MIT Pune last year, under which students begin courses in India and then travel to Scotland to study on either Abertay’s computer games and related degree courses, or on Dundee’s design and business courses.
Professor Chakradeo and Dr Pande will meet with academics from Dundee University in the morning to discuss existing joint programmes in design, animation and business, and progress in developing new joint programnmes in nursing and education.
Profesor Pete Downes, Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Dundee visited MIT Pune last year and welcomed this visit. He said, “We have complementary strengths and shared interests in a range of areas. Our agreements with MIT Pune lay the foundation for a productive, long-term partnership that benefits both Scotland and India.”
In the afternoon, the visitors will cross the city to Abertay, to tour the University’s Centre for Excellence in Computer Games Education and also the Digital Security Suite. They will meet academics and students involved in computer games, computer arts, digital security and ethical hacking.
Later, they will take part in a round table discussion of future potential collaborations with Abertay’s Institute of Arts, Media and Computer Games, School of Computing and Engineering Systems, and Dundee Business School.
Professor Nicholas Terry, Acting Principal and Vice-Chancellor of Abertay University said “We are delighted to welcome these distinguished visitors to the City of Dundee. Overseas partnerships and commercial links, especially with India, have been a key strength of the city for centuries, and we are proud to be able to take those forward into new areas of higher education and academic exchange.”
NOTES FOR EDITORS
The University of Abertay Dundee has two agreements with MIT Pune:
- MIT undergraduates studying a Graduate Diploma in Animation Design may enter Abertay’s BA (Hons) Computer Arts degree at third year
- MIT postgraduates studying a Postgraduate Diploma in Animation Design may come to Abertay to study a one-year PGDip/MA in one of Abertay’s computer game art and animation masters degrees.
The University of Dundee has a number of agreements with MIT Pune:
- Joint development of a dual Masters degree in Product Design, with students spending their first year in Pune and their second year in Dundee.
- Joint development of an Industrial Design with Ethnography degree, in which students will spend the first year in Pune, then two semesters in Dundee on the Design Ethnography Masters course, followed by a design project for the final semester of the two years.
- MIT sponsoring staff PhDs at Dundee University.
- MIT and Dundee are also developing a two-year joint Masters degree in Civil Engineering.
For media enquiries, please contact Kevin Coe (Director of Communications) – T: 01382 308452 M: 07850 904110 E: firstname.lastname@example.org