Noon, 11 th August 2011 – Lichfield, Staffs, United Kingdom
Elite Systems, the long established UK based developer and electronic publisher of games for portable, mobile and other devices has announced the launch of “Jet Set Willy II: The Final Frontier” - the official sequel to Matthew Smith’s ‘signature’ ZX Spectrum game from 1984 - as stand-alone Apps for all iOS devices.
‘Jet Set Willy II: ZX Spectrum’ for iPhone / iPod Touch:
‘Jet Set Willy II: ZX Spectrum HD’ for iPad:
A major feature of the Apps (which are expected to go live on the iTunes App Store at noon B.S.T. on Friday 19 th August and are already offered as an in-app purchase within the “ZX Spectrum: Elite Collection / HD” apps but do not include the separate infinite-lives version) is the support (either at launch, or in the first update) for TV-out on iPhone 4, 4 thGeneration iPod Touch and iPad. (Requires, separately sold, Apple TV-Out Component Cable or Apple VGA Adapter, or 100% compatible).
Other features of the Apps include:
- iDaptive (i.e. user-definable, game-specific joystick, keypad & canvas) Controls, an instructional video for which can be found by Googling “Tiny URL 22qh8hl” and here: http://tinyurl.com/22qh8hl
- ‘auto save’ on exiting any game
- separate infinite-lives version
Speaking about the Apps, Elite® MD Steve Wilcox said,
- the Apps will always be priced at £1.49 (Euro1.59, US$1.99)
- next year, just ahead of the 30th Anniversary of its launch, Elite will be re-launching the Sinclair ZX Spectrum; the re-publishing of the sequel to Matthew Smith’s signature game ‘Jet Set Willy’ along with the exploration of support for wireless keyboards is all part of our preparation
- to locate the Apps, just search for “ZX” at the iTunes App Store
Separately, Elite has announced that the fifth update of its ZX Spectrum: Elite Collection HD app will go live on the iTunes App Store at noon B.S.T. on Friday 12 th August, (tomorrow). The fifth update features additions to the in-App 'shop', notably:
- the first twelve 'Singles', each priced £0.69/€0.79/US$0.99, featuring JET SET WILLY II
- the next five volumes (Vol. #19 & Vol. #23), priced at £1.49/€1.59/US$1.99 per volume, each volume containing 6 ZX Spectrum games, specifically:
NEW! Palace Software Collection Vol. #2 - in-app purchase,
- featuring BARBARIAN II
NEW! Data East Collection - in-app purchase,
- featuring MIDNIGHT RESISTANCE
NEW! Hewson Collection Vol.1 - in-app purchase,
- featuring CYBERNOID
NEW! Hewson Collection Vol.2 - in-app purchase,
- featuring CYBERNOID II
NEW! New Generation Software Collection - in-app purchase,
- featuring TRASHMAN
The additions take the number of ZX Spectrum games included or available from the in-App ‘shop’ to 150.
‘ZX Spectrum: Elite Collection HD’ for iPad:
Steve Wilcox, Elite®
About Elite®: Elite Systems Ltd was incorporated in England in 1984 and is one of Europe’s most long established developers and publishers of entertainment software.
About ZX Spectrum: The ZX Spectrum is an 8-bit personal home computer released in the UK in 1982 by Sinclair Research Ltd. It sold in excess of 5 million units worldwide. The ZX Spectrum software library currently consists of some 10,000 games.
About Matthew Smith: Matthew Smith (born 1966) is a British computer game programmer. He is best known for his games Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy for the ZX Spectrum, released in 1983 and 1984 respectively. Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy are two of the most famous and popular ZX Spectrum games of all time. Matthew created these games when he was 17 and 18 ...