SAN FRANCISCO— Feb. 11, 2010— Fire up the flat screen and crank up the volume for the biggest year in Xbox 360 gaming history. Today at X10, Microsoft Corp. proved to the world why 2010 will be a landmark year for gamers of all types, and it showcased a barrage of exclusive games that defy traditional genres and create new experiences filled with emotion, adrenaline and suspense. Heart-pounding action and rich storytelling encompass a massive lineup of blockbuster exclusives announced today with the hotly anticipated multiplayer beta of this year’s biggest entertainment phenomenon,“Halo: Reach,” blasting off May 3, and the chilling and immersive mystery of“Alan Wake” coming May 18— both only available on the Xbox 360 gaming and entertainment system, starting at just $199.99 ERP.1 Celebrating the franchise’s Xbox 360 debut on March 9, Microsoft and Square Enix have created the Xbox 360“FINAL FANTASY XIII” Special Edition Bundle, offering the complete experience at an incredible value for $399 ERP.1
Available in North America on Aug. 31, Japan on Sept. 2 and Europe on Sept. 3,“Dead Rising 2” picks up the suspenseful action where the original left off, as gamers fight to survive swarming hordes of the living dead. Microsoft and Capcom Co. Ltd. have also announced that they are teaming up to set a new standard in storytelling through an exclusive“Dead Rising 2” downloadable prologue only on Xbox LIVE.“Dead Rising 2: CASE ZERO,” available shortly before the title releases in August, will allow Xbox 360 gamers to get their first glimpse into the“Dead Rising 2” story with exclusive content that will not be featured in the full game.
Last November, acclaimed developer Infinity Ward took gamers back to the action-packed world rife with political intrigue, betrayal and heroism in“Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2,” becoming the largest entertainment launch in history, shattering Xbox LIVE launch records along the way. Now Xbox 360 owners will be the only players in the world to fully experience the biggest blockbuster titles with exclusive Game Add-ons, including a“Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2” content pack arriving first on Xbox LIVE this spring.
“This is going to be an amazing year for Xbox 360 and for gamers worldwide. It’s our biggest and most breakthrough year yet, filled with games and entertainment that you won’t find on any other console,” said Phil Spencer, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios.“I’m floored on a daily basis with what the‘Crackdown 2’ team is doing, and Bungie is proving the impossible possible by eclipsing even its own untouchable standards with‘Halo: Reach.’ I can’t wait to jump on Xbox LIVE with some friends to amp up our Gamerscores in co-op or talk a little trash to fuel some friendly competition.”2
Gamers can grab their Xbox 360 controllers and envelop themselves in heroic tales of revolutionaries and kings, struggles to save mankind from annihilation, and action-packed stories of mystery and espionage, or simply have some nostalgic fun with family and friends across the globe on Xbox LIVE with the following games:
• “Halo: Reach” (Bungie). As the blockbuster prequel to the best-selling Xbox franchise of all time, developed exclusively for Xbox 360 by acclaimed developer Bungie,“Halo: Reach” puts you front and center in the fateful moments that forged the“Halo” legend. As part of Noble Team, a squad of heroic Spartan soldiers, you will be called upon to defend the planet Reach, humankind’s last line of defense between the terrifying Covenant and Earth. Starting on May 3, the“Halo: Reach” public multiplayer beta will give you the opportunity to drive the latest advancements in multiplayer gameplay in the blockbuster franchise that started it all on Xbox LIVE. Access to the beta will be available through the“Halo 3: ODST” game disc on Xbox LIVE.
• “Alan Wake” (Remedy Entertainment Ltd.). Launching May 18 in North America and May 21 in Europe, nightmares come to life in this Xbox 360 exclusive that will establish a new gaming genre, the gripping psychological action thriller. It is built like a chilling episodic TV series, where your wits and light are your only allies, and you can pre-order your copy now at participating retailers to reserve your Bright Falls Bonus Pack, which includes exclusive content such as avatar gear, an Xbox LIVE theme, and a“making of” video. Those looking to immerse themselves in the mystery beyond the game can also pre-order the limited collector’s edition, packed with bonus discs of behind-the-scenes footage, exclusive in-game commentary and hints from Remedy, a game soundtrack,“The Alan Wake Files” book, and more, all bound together in a hardcover bookshelf-worthy package.
• “Crackdown 2” (Ruffian Games). Available exclusively on Xbox 360 and hitting store shelves later this year, the sequel to the 2007 smash hit features over-the-top action, a massive living world, unprecedented online and multiplayer capabilities, and stylish graphics. Reserve your copy today and stand above the crowd— you’ll receive a code to download four exclusive suits of Agency-Issue armor: Gold, Brushed, Red and Blue Metal.
• “Dead Rising 2” (Capcom). Following the 2006 bone-crunching, zombie-bashing action adventure hit,“Dead Rising 2” puts a new offbeat defender in the heart of the fight to save the United States from complete zombification. Before the mayhem launching in August and September,“Dead Rising 2: CASE ZERO” will release as an exclusive Game Add-on only on Xbox LIVE.
• “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2” content pack (Infinity Ward/Activision). The first content packs for this award-winning title and biggest entertainment launch ever will be available first on Xbox 360 and Xbox LIVE.
• “Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Conviction” (Ubisoft Entertainment). Coming exclusively to Xbox 360 and PC on April 13 in North America, April 16 in the United Kingdom, and April 28 in Japan,“Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Conviction” is the highly anticipated sequel in the multimillion-selling“Splinter Cell” series, and one of the most critically acclaimed Xbox franchises of all time. Uniting revolutionary gameplay enhancements with a high-octane, no-holds-barred storyline, the game also features intense co-op espionage missions on Xbox LIVE, making Xbox 360 the only console where you can unleash your inner renegade spy.
• “FINAL FANTASY XIII” (Square Enix). The Xbox 360“FINAL FANTASY XIII” Special Edition Bundle includes a 250GB hard drive, two wireless controllers, exclusive downloadable avatar items and a standard-edition copy of the dramatic sequel in the multimillion-selling series. Xbox 360 is the only console outside of Japan to be bundled with the game, available in stores starting March 9, while supplies last. In addition, a very limited number of“FINAL FANTASY XIII” Limited Edition Faceplates have been created by designer Tetsuya Nomura. These faceplates are only available promotionally in fixed quantities across select retailers in Europe, North America, Australia, and New Zealand.
• “Fable III” (Lionhead Studios).“Fable III” delivers an unparalleled action and adventure experience as players journey from revolutionary to the ruler of Albion and beyond. With your trusted canine companion, you will embark on an epic hero’s quest against injustice, forge alliances, crush your enemies and take control of your kingdom. But with great power comes great responsibility. Will you honor promises made in your rise to power, or sacrifice allegiance for personal gain? Choose wisely, as the decisions you make will forever impact your ever-evolving world.
• “Lost Planet 2” (Capcom). The next installment of the popular third-person shooter returns you to breathtaking environments, unique Vital Suits and larger-than-life bosses of the world of E.D.N. III. The story picks up 10 years after the original game as players follow the exploits of their own customized snow pirate on their quest to seize control of the changing planet. You’ll be able to play through the intense and action-packed campaign mode with three of your friends on Xbox LIVE.“Lost Planet 2” launches in North America and Europe on May 18.
• “Left 4 Dead 2: The Passing” (Valve). The first Game Add-on brings the original“Left 4 Dead” survivors down south for a meeting with the“Left 4 Dead 2” cast, while delivering new single-player, multiplayer and co-operative gameplay, exclusively for Xbox 360 and PC. Targeting an early spring release,“Left 4 Dead 2: The Passing” will include new co-operative campaign and associated narrative and new arenas for Survival, Versus and Scavenge modes, and introduce a new co-operative challenge mode.2
• “Toy Soldiers” (Signal Studios). An intense action game kicking off the Xbox LIVE Arcade Block Party on March 3,“Toy Soldiers” casts players into a fantastic, miniature world where antique toy soldiers fight in vintage World War I dioramas. To celebrate the release of“Toy Soldiers” on Xbox LIVE Arcade, Microsoft is launching a companion Facebook experience on Feb. 12,“Toy Soldiers: Match Defense,” which will have you and your friends matching items to collectively win countries and conquer Europe.
• “Game Room” (Krome Studios Pty Ltd.). Launching this March as a part of the Xbox LIVE Arcade Block Party,“Game Room” lets gamers relive the glory days of classic arcade and console games in their original forms, as the player’s avatar takes part in the original sights, sounds and gameplay only on Xbox 360 and Windows-based PC.
• “Perfect Dark” (4J Studios). Fire up your Farsight and prepare for assignment— the Dark returns this March as part of the Xbox LIVE Arcade Block Party. Agent Joanna Dark brings her epic tale of galactic conspiracies in future America to Xbox 360 with remastered visuals, LIVE-enabled multiplayer modes, leader boards, achievements and avatar awards.
• “Scrap Metal” (Slick Entertainment Inc.). Launching in March as a part of the Xbox LIVE Arcade Block Party,“Scrap Metal” lets gamers drift around corners with guns blazing and take out competitors in this fast-paced, top-down racer. Gamers fight their way through explosive, action-packed missions, defeat cunning bosses, or jump on Xbox LIVE to race against their friends, exclusively on Xbox 360.
Not since the console’s launch in 2005 has there been a better time to jump into Xbox 360. With the year’s biggest lineup of blockbuster titles and most-anticipated exclusives launching now and throughout 2010, leading up to the holiday debut of“Project Natal,” only Xbox 360 offers the revolutionary gaming and entertainment experiences that everyone craves.
About Xbox 360
Xbox 360 is a premier video game and entertainment system. It is home to the best and broadest library of games, a streaming library of thousands of movies and TV shows in 1080p HD, and millions of songs connected to the television. The digital center of the living room, Xbox 360 blends unbeatable content with the largest online social network connected to the television in the 23 million members on Xbox LIVE to create a limitless entertainment experience that can be shared at home or across the globe. With the addition of currently code-named“Project Natal” for Xbox 360, Microsoft will forever transform social gaming and entertainment with a whole new way to play— no controller required. More information about“Project Natal” and Xbox 360 can be found online at http://www.xbox.com/projectnatal and http://www.xbox.com.
About Xbox LIVE
Xbox LIVE is the largest gaming and social entertainment network and delivers more entertainment than any device connected to the television, including movies, TV, music and games, and access to a world of friends. Xbox LIVE is also the only entertainment service to provide instant-on 1080p HD from Zune. With an active community of more than 23 million people across 26 countries, Xbox LIVE lets you play and download the best games and enjoy a streaming library of thousands of movies and millions of songs instantly— all while connecting to friends anytime. An Xbox LIVE Gold membership provides you with exclusive benefits and premium access to entertainment from the top studios, services and social networks, all in one place. More information about Xbox LIVE can be found online at http://www.xbox.com/live.
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq“MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.
1 Estimated retail price; actual retail prices may vary.
2 Xbox LIVE Gold Membership required for online multiplayer.“Halo: Reach” beta will require a hard drive and Gold membership.
Note to editors: For more information, news and perspectives from Microsoft, please visit the Microsoft News Center at http://www.microsoft.com/news. Web links, telephone numbers and titles were correct at time of publication, but may have changed. For additional assistance, journalists and analysts may contact Microsoft’s Rapid Response Team or other appropriate contacts listed at http://www.microsoft.com/news/contactpr.mspx.