HONG KONG - Aug. 18, 2011
Playpen Studios today released the first ever gameplay video footage for its hotly anticipated music and rhythm game Skillz: The DJ Game, coming soon for the iPad, Android tablets and PC. The announcement further revealed the third and final round of tracks that will be among the 25 available for play at launch, including a never-before-heard remix of “Day ‘N’ Nite” by Kid Cudi vs. Crookers. Catch the gameplay trailers at www.skillzdjgame.com and check out how gamers interact with the iPad’s touch screen to scratch and mix through a library of original remixes spanning hip hop, dubstep, drum ‘n’ bass, and funk, among others.
The tracks newly revealed for launch include:
• Kid Cudi Vs. Crookers - "Day 'N' Nite" Vs. Hoxton Whores - “Friday Saturday Love”
• Mr Scruff – “Test The Sound”
• Roots Manuva – “Witness (1 Hope)”
• Roots Manuva – “Buff Nuff”
• Guilty Simpson & Oh No - "Futuristic" feat. MED
• Poirier - "Wha-La-La-Leng" feat. Face T
• Nu Tone - "Never Together" feat. Logistics
• “Stones Throw Megamix 1” featuring tracks from artists including Dam Funk, James Pants, and Oh No
• “Stones Throw Megamix 2” featuring tracks from artists including Maker, Lazer Sword and Cx kidtronic
• “Om Megamix” featuring tracks from artists including King Kooba, Andy Caldwall and Chuck Love
• “Ninja Tune Megamix” featuring tracks from artists including Blockhead, Ty, Mr Scruff and Roots Manuva
“We’ve been getting a lot of great feedback after Skillz’s recent appearance on G4’s X-Play,” said Joe Gilbertson, Co-founder of Playpen Studios. “Now that everyone is getting a chance to check out the gameplay trailers and see the game in action, we’re excited for the next steps – dropping the launch date and finally getting Skillz into gamers’ hands.”
Skillz features touch-based gameplay that has players directly interfacing with tablets’ touchscreen to scratch records, crossfade and drop samples into tracks. In the game’s career mode, successful DJing earns fans, which unlock additional features and allows gamers to progress through five unique venues with one of six playable characters. Players will also want to rack up points to unlock achievements and compete on global leaderboards through OpenFeint.
Watch the new in-game video footage and listen to the sounds of Skillz at: www.skillzdjgame.com
For more information on Skillz:
• Follow on Twitter at: www.twitter.com/skillzthedjgame
• Like on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/Skillz-The-DJ-Game
About Playpen Studios
Playpen Studios is a Hong Kong-based independent video game developer founded by Joe Gilbertson and James Wong in 2005. After winning a game design competition hosted by Microsoft, the duo went on to become certified developers for the Xbox platform and performed a multitude of project-based services for Chinese developers and publishers. Their first original project came in 2007, when Playpen revealed Skillz: The DJ Game for PC, which went on to win the “Excellence in Audio” award at the Independent Games Festival China in 2010. Since then, Playpen formally announced the 2011 release of Skillz on the iPad and Android tablets, followed by the PC release. To learn more about Playpen Studios, visit www.skillzdjgame.com.
John O'Leary, Account Executive, TriplePoint
+1 (310) 587-9200