Cologne, August 4, 2010– Electronic Sports League (ESL) presents the eSports highlights of the year at gamescom 2010 (August 18 to 22). Over 3,500 m² exhibition space run by the ESL TV hosts in the ESL Intel Alienware Gaming Arena. The audience can expect eSports at its best at the European launch of the fifth season of the global league of eSports champions, the Intel Extreme Masters, introducing StarCraft ® II as one of the main titles for the first time. In addition, the 17th season of the ESL Pro Series, the national league for computer games, will kick off with the first Intel Friday Night Game event. At gamescom, Volkswagen will be looking for the best drivers of their new Polo GTI using Level R, the car racing simulator. The program will be complemented with such highlights as top new games available for playing as well as media education services for everyone. Famous DJs and live acts will be the main attractions of the ESL Players Party on Saturday evening (all that in hall 9).
Intel Extreme Masters V
After the start of the fifth season at ChinaJoy in Shanghai the world's best players will clash in the second Global Challenge, at gamescom (hall 9): the best gamers from Europe, Asia and America compete for their share of the total prize purse of $400.000– the world's highest prize money for the international league for computer games. For the first time, the long awaited blockbuster from Blizzard, StarCraft ® II will be played on stage of the ESL Intel Alienware Gaming Arena in the professional eSports tournament.
ESL Pro Series 17
Friday (August 20) is the first day of the 17th season of the ESL Pro Series, the national league for computer games. The best German gamers will collect their first valuable points on their way to the Alienware finals in December in Cologne. With the total prize money of€130,000, ESL Pro Series is the most prominent eSports league in Germany.
Intel Core Zone
Some of the latest blockbuster computer games will be available in the Intel Core Zone equipped with over 30 high-end PC's with Intel Core i7 processors inside. The visitors will be able to try out for free the following games: R.U.S.E. Civilization 5, Lost Planet 2, Need for Speed Online, Star Trek Online, Guild Wars 2 and Napoleon Total War. In addition, StarCraft ® II and SHOGUN 2 will be presented on the ESL stage.
Volkswagen Racing Cup
Volkswagen, the partner of the ESL, will be looking for the best drivers of their newest Polo GTI by organizing the Volkswagen Racing Cup (hall 9). It is part of their campaign 'Junge Fahrer' (Young Drivers) which is to promote the importance of cautious driving. On Saturday, August 21, Samy Deluxe, a famous German rapper, will award the winners of the Racing Cups on the stage of the ESL Arena.
In GamersCorner in hall 9 the visitors will be able to try out for free some of the newest as well as yet upcoming titles on the market such as ABP– All Points Bulletin, Avalon Heroes, Crysis 2 , FIFA 11, Medal of Honor, Need for Speed World and R.U.S.E.
watch your game
Hall 9 is the place where„watch your game“ project will be initiated. It is a result of cooperation between Turtle Entertainment, the ESL operator, and Jugend Online. The object is to sensitize young gamers with the topic of the minors protection and to discuss, on an equal level, controversial issues from the world of computer games.
Moreover, Turtle Entertainment together with the Deutsche Kinderschutzbund (German Child Protection Association), the University of Applied Science in Cologne and the NRW Games Guide invites all parents and their offspring to join the project 'play2gether'. Children will explain various computer and video games areas to their parents. They will be accompanied by experienced media educators who will serve the parents with advice and support.
Current trends in games as well as their social impact will be discussed on the series of conferences held at the Congrees-Centrum Nord on August 20. Ralf Reichert, the Managing Director of Turtle Entertainment, will be joined by the leading government and gaming industry representatives in discussion about the social impact of the projects dealing with increasing media comptence.
eSports writing workshop
Turtle Entertainment and Jugendpresse Rheinland will organize at gamescom a writing workshop for aspiring journalists.
Highlights of the gamescom in hall 9
ESL Intel Alienware Gaming Arena
- <*>European launch of the fifth season of the global league of eSports champions, Intel Extreme Masters, with Quakelive and StarCraft ® II as the main disciplines (a total of $400,000 in prize money)*> <*>Bundesliga for computer games: Intel Friday Night Game of the 17th season of the ESL Pro Series (a total of€130,000 in prize money)*> <*>Volkswagen Racing Cup with the exclusive Safe Driving Training in the new Polo GTI for each day's winner. On August 21, Samy Deluxe visits the VW booth and awards the winners.*> <*>Intel Core Zone– blockbuster games on more than 30 high-end PC's:*>
- Civilization 5
- Lost Planet 2
- Need for Speed Online
- Star Trek Online
- Guild Wars 2
- Napoleon Total War
Presentation on the ESL stage:
- StarCraft ® II
- <*>GamersCorner with the following hits:*>
- Crysis 2
- FIFA 11
- Medal of Honor
- Need for Speed World (all of them by Electronic Arts)
- Avalon Heroes (burda:ic)
- R.U.S.E. (Ubisoft)
- <*>Mad Catz ® introduces the wireless Tritton AX TM 180 Gaming Headset and the Cyborg R.A.T.7 gaming mouse*> <*>ESL Players Party - 1,500 guests, entrance and drinks for free (August 21)*> <*>ESL TV Live Show with raffles and prizes for the fans*>
Media education projects:
- <*>watch your game– an initiative of Jugend Online and Turtle Entertainment to raise the awarness of the youth protection topics*> <*>"play2gether"– a project which aims at uniting parents and their children in common playing computer games (August 21)*> <*>Parents-LAN for teachers– an event organized for those teachers who want to implement the Parent-LAN project into their schools or organisations for children and youth (August 20)*>
Further information concerning the Intel Extrem Masters available at: www.intelextrememasters.com
Further information concerning the ESL Pro Series available at: www.esl.eu/de/pro-series/season17
Information on Europe's leading eSports company, Turtle Entertainment, is available at: www.turtle-entertainment.com
Turtle Entertainment was founded in 2000. The company quickly grew to be the European leader in the sector of electronic sports (eSports). The Electronic Sports League (ESL), operated by Turtle Entertainment, is active in 37 different countries worldwide. The league portal www.esl.eu reaches above ten million visits a month generated by more than 2,5 million registered users. Turtle Entertainment broadcasts ESL events via IPTV channel ESL TV since 200 7. The headquarter has 160 employees and is located in Cologne, Germany. Turtle Entertainment owns the majority of the Chinese eSports league PGL (Pro Gamer League) since 2007. Important business partners of Turtle Entertainment are global corporations such as Intel, Alienware, ASUS, adidas, Volkswagen, Nokia, Trend Micro, Sennheiser, Windows 7, Sidewinder, SteelSeries and gamed.de.
Further information available on www.turtle-entertainment.com
All links at a glance:
- This Press Release as PDF: www.turtle-entertainment.de/Dateien/PM_gamescom_Highlights_EN.pdf
- Further information about the Intel Extreme Masters: www.intelextrememasters.com
- Futher information about the ESL Pro Series: www.esl.eu/de/pro-series
- Photos of the ESL Arena at gamescom 2009: www.flickr.com/photos/eslphotos/sets/72157622138599698
- ESL TV (Videos on Demand): http://tv.esl.eu/de/vod
- Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/esltv
- Electronic Sports League: www.esl.eu
- Turtle Entertainment: www.turtle-entertainment.com
- Turtle Entertainment (Press section): www.turtle-entertainment.com/?press
- Company trailer Turtle Entertainment GmbH (Flashmovie in a browser): http://files.turtle-entertainment.de/video/eslpromo.html
Turtle Entertainment GmbH
Siegburger Straße 189
Tel. +49 221 880449-231
Cell +49 163 5196461
Fax. +49 221 880449-239