Krakow, 08.04.2013: After the announcement of Grimlands’ cancellation by publisher gamigo AG, developer DRAGO Entertainment has launched a campaign on Kickstarter to raise the funds required to finish the post-apocalyptic Shooter MMORPG true to its original vision.
In development at Polish studio DRAGO for over five years, Grimlands is an innovative mix of MMORPG and First- or Third Person Shooter. Thousands of players explore a huge open world that was laid in ruins by earthquakes and face the daily challenges of this deadly environment: Scarce resources fuel the PVE and PVP fights and force players to craft every item by themselves. Without level- or point-restrictions, players create their individual avatar just by playing in their favorite style and learning skills by using them. Clans fight over key locations in the game world using armed vehicles for support. Choosing if they want to be a lone wolf or trade and band together with other players is just one of the many parts of the sandbox-style gameplay.
Despite positive feedback on the last two Beta tests, a strategy-shift from development to distribution has led gamigo AG to cancel Grimlands. Following strong fan-support, the development team aims to finance the remaining work by turning to the community on Kickstarter.
“When gamigo announced they would no longer fund the development of Grimlands, we were all shocked, given we had spend more than five years on this game and are finally so close to release”, explains Lucjan Mikociak, Head of Development at DRAGO Entertainment. “However, at the same time the numerous outcries from Press and Players around the globe convinced us that the market eagerly awaits our title and that we have to keep working towards launch.”
On the decision to turn to Kickstarter, Mikociak comments: “There is no way around it: Big games need big money. Since gamigo stopped funding us in January, we have survived thanks to friends and family support. However, in order to properly finish the game by year’s end, we need further funding of 650.000 USD. After talking to several publishers and investors we feel only Kickstarter allows this without compromising our vision!”
We would appreciate if you would support our project by reporting on this news and linking to our Kickstarter page. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for exclusive screenshots or interview requests - we are looking forward to hearing from you!
Grimlands Key Features:
- True Mix of Shooter and MMORG with aiming, stealth and cover but deep character development and customization
- Unique crafting: Almost every item (Weapons, Ammunition, armor etc.) is crafted by players out of scavenged raw materials based on blue prints but depending on crafting skills, making each build special and giving incentives for player trading via the auction house
- Unique skill system: Without levels or points players advance their character skills by using specific weapons or functions; allowing for diverse character builds
- Huge, open game world with weather and daytime changes set in an post-apocalyptic setting
- A variety of upgradable vehicles that can be driven by up to four players and used for combat
- Both PVE with strong storyline told through hundreds of quests and various PVP options
- Strong clan support with territorial fights that gives real bonuses for holding key locations
- Dungeons for groups with easy to use group finding tool