Half of Gamers Think Microsoft Will Launch Portable Vita Rival



Following the popular launch of PlayStation’s latest handheld console, the PS Vita, last week; a new study has revealed what gamers think about the possibility of other manufacturers following in PlayStation’s footsteps, and launching a similar handheld console.

The study, conducted by video game price comparison and marketplace site www.Playr2.com, asked 1,921 self-confessed ‘gamers’ what their thoughts were on the possibility of Microsoft launching a rival handheld console.

When asked, “Do you think that Microsoft will launch a handheld console, following the launch of PlayStation’s Vita?” over half, 51%, of the gamers taking part said ‘yes’. Of these, the majority, 62%, believed that Microsoft would do so ‘within the next 2 years’.

Those taking part in the study were asked to specify what console they tended to use for gaming the most. Of the total respondents, 48% classified themselves as ‘Xbox’ gamers.

Those who specified that they mainly played video games via an Xbox console were asked whether or not they would purchase a handheld Microsoft games console, should one be developed in the future. Of these, two thirds, 67%, said that they would consider purchasing a handheld Microsoft games console.

Furthermore, those who classified themselves as ‘Xbox gamers’ were also asked what they thought of the PlayStation Vita console. Over half, 55%, claimed to be ‘impressed’ with PlayStation’s new handheld device; and a fifth, 18%, were ‘considering’ purchasing one.

Total respondents taking part were asked if they believed whether or not all gaming would soon be completely ‘portable’, via consoles, Smartphones or tablet computers; to which 35% answered ‘yes’. The remaining majority, however, 65%, did not feel that gaming would be completely portable any time soon.

Simon Kilby, Founder of Playr2.com, commented on the findings:

“Handheld gaming is certainly becoming more and more common; whether it be via PlayStation’s new console, the DS/3DS, tablets or simply on your Smartphone. Technical advancements that enable portable consoles to have specs that match those of their living room-based cousins mean that handheld gaming needn’t have to suffer in quality as it traditionally has. Handheld consoles such as the Vita are giving a better gaming experience than ever before, making it an attractive prospect for gamers on the move.”

He continued:

“Whilst Microsoft haven’t confirmed any rumours about the possibility of developing a handheld console to rival the Vita, our results suggest that a handheld device to accompany the Xbox would go down well with Xbox fans. Like it or not, gaming is on the move; so the future may well see Microsoft developing a handheld device to stay in the game.”


LINK: http://www.Playr2.com 

Editor’s Notes

For more information please contact Emma Kent of 10 Yetis Public Relations Agency on 01452 348211 or emmak@10yetis.co.uk.

Playr2.com allows users to compare prices on their favourite games, as well as allowing them to buy, sell and swap their games with other members on the site.

Playr2.com was launched in June 2011.  

Games PressGames Press is the leading online resource for games journalists. Used daily by magazines, newspapers, TV, radio, online media and retailers worldwide, it offers a vast, constantly updated archive of press releases and assets, and is the simplest and most cost-effective way for PR professionals to reach the widest possible audience. Registration for the site and the Games Press email digest is available, to the trade only, at www.gamespress.com.