LONDON - 9 OCTOBER 2008 - Against the backdrop of one of the world’s largest video games event, Tokyo Game Show 2008, Microsoft Corp. today unveiled a blockbuster portfolio of games for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from many of the world’s most renowned developers. The line-up, which features a variety of high profile titles coming this holiday season, as well as in 2009 and beyond, was headlined by“Halo 3: Recon,” an exciting new chapter in the legendary“Halo” franchise from acclaimed developer Bungie.
During his keynote address, John Schappert, Microsoft’s corporate vice president of LIVE, Software and Studios showcased the best blockbusters Japan has to offer from the most popular genres. Cementing the reputation of Xbox 360 as the premier home for great storytelling and the industry’s best role playing games (RPGs), Schappert provided an exclusive look at the widely anticipated“Star Ocean®: The Last Hope” and“THE LAST REMNANT™” from developer Square Enix. Action-adventure fans were also given a new look at the latest trailer for“RESIDENT EVIL 5,” slated to launch on Xbox 360 in March 2009.
“Xbox 360 continues to be the destination of choice for the best and broadest games from the world’s biggest and best developers,” said Schappert.“With the latest incarnations of the‘Halo’ universe, as well as global hits like“Star Ocean: THE LAST HOPE” we continue to deliver on our commitment to provide the calibre of entertainment and games that capture the imagination of people across the globe.”
A New Look at the“Halo” Universe
To the delight of devoted fans across the world, Microsoft debuted“Halo 3: Recon,” developed exclusively for Xbox 360 by acclaimed developer Bungie.“Halo 3: Recon” is a new chapter in the“Halo” saga that lets gamers experience events leading up to the epic story told in“Halo 3” through the eyes of a new hero in the“Halo” universe. The standalone expansion, set to release in autumn of 2009, extends the award-winning“Halo 3” experience with hours of new campaign excursions and multiplayer gameplay. In addition, attendees were given an all-new glimpse of the Xbox 360 exclusive strategy game“Halo Wars” from Ensemble Studios. By showing campaign mode for the first time, the live demo provided viewers with a thrilling taste of the revolutionary gameplay and new perspective of the“Halo” universe. Players will be able to enjoy the full experience when“Halo Wars” hits retailers in early 2009.
Japanese Developers Gain Worldwide Momentum
By partnering with the best and brightest Japanese developers and publishers, Microsoft is committed not only to providing an unparalleled gaming experience on Xbox 360 not only to Japan, but also to helping Japanese games reach new audiences worldwide. During his keynote address, Schappert announced that Xbox 360 has the most top-selling, third-party Japanese titles among all other current games platforms. He also noted that Japanese publishers have sold more than $800 million worth of games thus far on Xbox 360 and are on track to see lifetime revenue of more than $1 billion by the end of this holiday.
To underscore that point, Schappert unveiled dramatic new titles from Japan, including“NINETY-NINE NIGHTS 2<1>” produced by Q Entertainment and developed by Feelplus. The title will join the“Ninja Gaiden” franchise and the just-announced“Ninja Blade” in making Xbox 360 the best place for Japanese action games. Schappert also declared that the release of“Star Ocean: THE LAST HOPE” and“THE LAST REMNANT” are further proof that Xbox 360 is the best console for RPGs, citing a rich portfolio of global blockbusters including“Infinite Undiscovery,“Fable II,” and“Fallout 3.”Additional Japanese-developed blockbusters debuting this holiday and 2009 include the following:
• “THE LAST REMNANT™” (Square Enix).“THE LAST REMNANT” is a new role-playing game crafted using the finest artistry and technology Square Enix has to offer. Set in a fantasy world, war-torn and scarred by years of conflict, gameplay revolves around mysterious artefacts— Remnants— that possess magic powers. Groundbreaking graphics possible only on Xbox 360 bring the intensity to a whole new level.“THE LAST REMNANT” is launching worldwide on 20th November and will be available only on Xbox 360.
• “NINETY-NINE NIGHTS II” (Q Entertainment). Set amid a dramatic, epic backdrop of a warring world,“NINETY-NINE NIGHTS II” blends strategy and action, allowing players to take control of massive armies to defeat thousands of enemies in massive-scaled battles never before seen on the Xbox 360.
• “RESIDENT EVIL 5” (Capcom Entertainment Inc.). Destined to bring new fans to the series,“RESIDENT EVIL 5” is the sequel to one of the highest-rated video games in history (according to Metacritic.com and GameRankings.com). Promising to revolutionize the series by delivering an unbelievable level of detail, realism and control,“RESIDENT EVIL 5” unleashes an unprecedented level of fear for the next generation. New technology developed specifically for the game, as well as incredible changes to both the gameplay and the“RESIDENT EVIL” world, will make this a must-have game for gamers across the globe.
• “Star Ocean®: THE LAST HOPE™” (Square Enix).“Star Ocean: THELAST HOPE” is the long-awaited continuation of the celebrated science fiction and fantasy role-playing game series. Slated for release on Xbox 360 in spring 2009 and published by Square Enix, this prequel set during the aftermath of World War III combines science fiction and fantasy elements spanning multiple planets and the vastness of space itself to recount the origins of the Star Ocean universe. Exhilarating combat expands upon the franchise’s famous real-time battle system, introducing the amazing graphics and visual effects possible only on Xbox 360.
Xbox LIVE Arcade Debuts New line-up
Xbox LIVE Arcade continued momentum built during the summer of arcade as Microsoft announced seven new titles to the already robust lineup of classics and original titles. With the power of Xbox LIVE Arcade, a new generation of gamers can now experience some of the most beloved games of all-time from Japan’s most legendary developers. Classic titles showcased at Tokyo Game Show include the following:
• “ARKANOIDTM Live!” (TAITO). First appearing in the 1980s as a block-breaking game, the next evolution will now be available on Xbox LIVE Arcade. Gamers can enjoy“Arkanoid” in high -definition with beautifully choreographed background movies and background music.“Arkanoid” is loaded with 120 stages and colourful cooperative and versus modes.
• “The King of Fighters’98 Ultimate Match” (SNK PLAYMORE). The original“dream match” comes to Xbox LIVE Arcade with new features, characters and game modes. Gamers can face their favourite“The King of Fighters” characters to determine the ultimate champion.
• “Metal Slug 7” (SNK PLAYMORE). Gamers can join Marco, Tarma, Eri, Fiolina, Clark and Ralph as they prepare to take on Modern’s Forces across seven new missions.“Metal Slug 7” will also feature new weapons, colossal new bosses, new gameplay modes, and new Slugs to pilot.
• “Meteos Wars” (Q ENTERTAINMENT). Take a ride through this intergalactic journey where you slide, stack and ignite your blocks to blast away the world‐ending meteors! Only you can stop them from falling and crushing your planet. Master the combo links and power-ups to challenge your friends in intense multiplayer sessions
• “R-Type Dimensions™” (Microsoft).“R-Type Dimensions” combines the genre-defining coin-op classics“R-Type” and“R-Type II,” with a twist. For the first time ever,“R-Type Dimensions” allows multiplayer co-op play locally or over Xbox LIVE for up to two players. Gamers fight through all 14 Bydo-infested stages in the original 2-D or all-new 3-D graphics, and can swap between the two seamlessly.
• “SPACE INVADERS EXTREME™” (TAITO). Gamers can experience“Space Invaders” in fully immersive sound and vivid high definition on the next-generation system, with visuals that will excite their senses.
• “Tenchu: Shadow Assault” (FROMSOFTWARE). Tenchu, the world-famous ninja action game, is now on Xbox LIVE Arcade. Gamers can control their favourite characters as they use a variety of ninja weapons to defeat their enemies and complete their missions. They can use traps in multiplayer mode<2> to kill their friends for massive points.
For press information, please contact:
Nik Thakkar / 020 3047 4087 / email@example.com
Seema Parmar / 020 3047 4001 / firstname.lastname@example.org
About Xbox 360
Xbox 360 is a premier video game and entertainment system. It is home to the best and broadest games plus more standard and high-definition movies and TV shows on demand than any other device connected to the TV. The digital center of the living room, Xbox 360 blends unbeatable content, including personal pictures and music, witha unified online social network to create a limitless entertainment experience that can be shared at home or across the globe. More information can be found online at http://www.xbox.com/xbox360.
About Xbox LIVE
Xbox LIVE is the first and most comprehensive unified online entertainment network seamlessly integrated throughout the entire console experience, making it easy for people to find the friends, games and entertainment they want from the moment they power on their Xbox 360 system. Xbox LIVE connects more than 14 million members across 26 countries to enjoy hundreds of multiplayer games, downloadable games via Xbox LIVE Arcade, free and premium playable game demos, music videos, TV shows and movies in the United States as well as new game levels, characters and vehicles for all their favorite retail games. More information can be found online at http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/nxe
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq“MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.
For more information, press only:
Note to editors: If you are interested in viewing additional information on Microsoft, please visit the Microsoft Web page at http://www.microsoft.com/presspass on Microsoft’s corporate information pages. Web links, telephone numbers and titles were correct at time of publication, but may since have changed. For additional assistance, journalists and analysts may contact Microsoft’s Rapid Response Team or other appropriate contacts listed at http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/contactpr.mspx.