2012 Jun 27 LEAMINGTON SPA, UK IndieCity, in partnership with media law firm Sheridans, is pleased to announce the Indie Meet-‘em-Up event, to be held during the Develop in Brighton conference.
The event is designed to give indie developers the opportunity to pick the brains of experts from the games press, event organisation, marketing, and legal fields, as well as the chance to meet and network with other game developers.
The free event, sponsored by AudioMotion and Autodesk, will be held from 7pm on Wednesday 11th July at the Fortune of War, the oldest seafront pub in Brighton, just a stone’s throw away from the Develop conference site.
In order to attend the Indie Meet-‘em-Up, participants must register on the Eventbrite page: http://indiemeetemup.eventbrite.com/.
“The issues involved in successful indie game development can be incredibly daunting for some, “says IndieCity Project Lead Chris Swan. “Liaising with press, sorting out marketing, dealing with legal and contractual issues, not to mention the everyday difficulties of actually developing a game! We want to make tapping into the knowledge and expertise of those in the know as easy and fun as possible, and think that hosting this event is the perfect way to achieve that.”
Confirmed experts to date include:
• Keith Stuart, lead games correspondent for the Guardian, contributor to Edge and Official PlayStation magazine and co-founder of downloadable gaming site, Hookshot Inc.
• Paul Taylor from Mode 7 Games, one of the team behind the award-winning Frozen Synapse.
• Dan Marshall from BAFTA-winning studio Size Five Games, makers of Ben There, Dan That.
• Brian Baglow, indie games marketing expert, pioneer and style icon.
• David Hayward, indie events genius, organiser of Bit of Alright game conference, Indie Games Arcade at Eurogamer Expo and the indie games area at Rezzed.
• Alex Chapman, leading games lawyer specialising in developers and IP.
• Alex Tutty, intellectual property lawyer who focuses on advising indie developers.
• Plus more to be announced.
Free drinks tokens, redeemable at the bar, will be handed out by the experts in reward for striking up a conversation and asking questions of them. There will also be one free drink upon entry.
Sheridans have hosted events during previous Develop conferences, as Alex Chapman, Head of Interactive at Sheridans explains: “We know from prior experience that creating a place for developers to meet up together is always well received; add to that a great venue, free drinks and the opportunity to get free, impartial and practical advice from not just one but a whole host of experts and we’ve got the makings of an absolutely fantastic evening.”
The event kicks off at 7pm on Wednesday 11th July at the Fortune of war pub on Brighton’s seafront.
For more information and to sign up visit the Meet-‘em-up Eventbrite page: http://indiemeetemup.eventbrite.com/
IndieCity.com is a unique online marketplace committed to celebrating and supporting the indie gaming community at all levels, highlighting the creativity, the passion and the people. The site aims to create one integrated indie community that draws together developers, gamers and press to encourage the discovery, promotion and enjoyment of indie games of all shapes and sizes. http://IndieCity.com
Sheridans is a leading media law firm whose lawyers combine the in-depth legal knowledge and breadth of expertise and experience required to give unparalleled advice to their clients.
The team at Sheridans advises on all legal issues in the games world and specialises in advising developers http://www.sheridans.co.uk/sectors/computer-games.aspx#