Helsinki, Finland – June 6, 2012 – Finnish game developer Frozenbyte has today announced that the best version of its acclaimed fantasy adventure game Trine 2 is in development exclusively for Nintendo's Wii U™. Intended to be launched in the holiday season of 2012, Trine 2: Director's Cut features the critically acclaimed original game with numerous enhancements and gameplay polish, alongside a new game mode called the “Magic Mayhem”, designed exclusively for Wii U. The upcoming new expansion campaign is also planned to come out on Wii U.
“We are thrilled to work on Wii U and bring the best version of Trine 2 to the platform,” said Lauri Hyvärinen, CEO of Frozenbyte, and continued: “Trine 2: Director's Cut features many things that we had to cut from the original release on other platforms and a completely new user experience tailored especially for Wii U. We are also going to introduce the new “Magic Mayhem” party mode that brings the frantic multiplayer of Trine 2 into a more challenging environment where players can battle and laugh together.”
“Simultaneously we are working on the upcoming expansion for Trine 2, which will come out on Wii U at the same time. It will provide a fantastically exhilarating adventure following the heroic trio of Amadeus, Pontius and Zoya – or as otherwise known, the Wizard, the Knight and the Thief. The expansion is our best work yet and absolutely stunning in every respect, and is going to be a fantastic experience on Wii U.”
Trine 2: Director's Cut (Wii U exclusive & planned for holiday season)
- Director's Cut is "the developers' vision of Trine 2" fully formed
- Physics-based puzzles with fire, water, gravity and magic
- Accessible for both casual and hardcore gamers thanks to the new control system designed for Wii U, taking full advantage of the touch screen for intuitive character controls
- More than 100 improvements to the original game, including polished gameplay features, level geometry adjusts, new vocals and character interactions, and user experience improvements
- Online and local co-op with up to three players, with special multiplayer features for Wii U GamePad™ and support for up to three Wii Remotes™.
- Superb graphics and next-gen visuals using impressive technical effects, making Wii U the definite console version
- Upgrade your characters to suit your play style and to learn amazing new skills
- Save anywhere to play as long or short sessions as you like and use the Unlimited Character Mode and Game+ for replay value
- Hidden collectibles for extra adventuring
- Amazing 19-track fantasy soundtrack
- Full language support for English, French, German and Spanish, and optional subtitling for more than 10 languages
- Campaign support for the new skills from the upcoming expansion
- Director’s Cut includes the exclusive Magic Mayhem “party mode” for up to 4 players in online and offline multiplayer
Trine 2 expansion campaign (included in the Director's Cut)
- Add-on content for Trine 2
- A new adventure featuring the Heroes struggling against new goblin villainy
- New skills for each character with new possibilities for puzzle solving
- 5 new levels chock-full of new puzzles, hazards, enemies and contraptions
- Completely new environments ranging from burning desert to snowy mountains to the insides of a giant sand whale
Trine 2 has been rated Everyone 10+ by the ESRB and 12 by the PEGI.
Trine 2: Director's Cut has not yet been rated.
Contact: Joel Kinnunen, Vice President, & Mikael Haveri, Marketing Manager, press@
Frozenbyte is an independent game developer with a focus on game quality. All Frozenbyte games are self-funded and based on self-owned IP, and the company maintains a creative, feel-good development culture. Frozenbyte's number one priority is the quality of the games and the well-being of the team, with the financial side and tight deadlines taking a backseat. The passionate development method has created two well-received game series – Shadowgrounds and Trine – with four games in total for a variety of computer and console platforms. Frozenbyte's third IP is launching in 2012 and a fourth IP is already on the drawing board. Frozenbyte was founded in 2001 and is based in Helsinki, Finland. Please visit the official website at http://www.frozenbyte.com/ for more information.
Trine 2™ © 2010-2012 Frozenbyte, Inc. All rights reserved.
Nintendo trademarks and copyrights are properties of Nintendo.
“Steam” is a trademark or registered trademark of Valve Corporation.
“Mac” is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
“Xbox”, “Xbox 360” and “Xbox LIVE” are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies and are used under license from Microsoft.
“PlayStation" and "PLAYSTATION" are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
“Linux” is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.
All other trademarks are properties of their respective owners.