The top 10 favorite arcade games in the KontrolFreek and IBOPE Zogby 2011 survey of active gamers are:
2. Donkey Kong
3. Space Invaders
6. Ms. Pac-Man
9. Mortal Kombat
The complete survey results can be found on the KontrolFreek website.
“While all of these games kept it simple, they were able to give game players a truly unique and memorable experience,” said KontrolFreek CEO Ashish Mistry. “As the leader in creating performance gaming gear for the active gamer lifestyle, we created the innovative Rcade Freek to breathe new life into gaming classics by giving console players the feel of an arcade joystick in the palm of their hand.”
The Rcade Freek was developed based on extensive user research and provides gamers a classic feel by improving the ergonomics, comfort, and precision of their Xbox 360 or PS3 controller. To further celebrate this 40-year milestone, KontrolFreek is releasing two new color options, Retro Red and Groovy Green, for its newest gaming accessory. The new Rcade Freek colors are available now and are priced at $9.99.
Joining in the celebration, celebrity video game players weighed in on their favorite arcade games and memories:
Alison Haislip, NBC’s“The Voice” V Room and G4’s“Attack of the Show!” :
“Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was my favorite. It was the game my brother and I played whenever our mother took us to Pizza Hut.”
James Kyson Lee, CBS’“Hawaii 5-0” and NBC’s“Heroes”:
“Definitely Street Fighter II: Champion Edition and Super Street Fighter II Turbo were my favorite arcade games. During high school, we used to go to the burger joint that had it and have our own tournaments, lining up quarters on the machine to mark who was next. At the time, it had the most number of combination moves, characters, and story - and it was a challenge to finish the game.”
AJ LoCascio, Back to the Future: The Game:
“Easily the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade game was my favorite. It was too perfect. I think my favorite memory of it was playing it recently at my friend Dennis's house; he has an arcade cabinet in his apartment and four of us played and beat the game on the spot.”
Fun Survey and Arcade Game Facts:
• 57.4 percent of republicans preferred blasting Asteroids versus 48.1 percent of democrats
• 7.1 percent of married people included Punch Out as their favorite game versus 20.9 percent of singles and 26.3 percent of divorced respondents
• In 1971, the first known coin-operated arcade video game, The Galaxy Game, made its debut on the campus of Stanford University
• Centipede was the first game that was designed by a woman
• According to Guinness World Records Williams’ Blaster cockpit is the most valuable arcade machine with an estimated worth of $12,000
• The fastest perfect Pac-Man score was achieved in 2009 by David Race who completed the game flawlessly in 3 hours, 41 minutes, and 22 seconds
• Pac-Man, Dragon's Lair, and Pong are all on permanent display at the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C.
• According to Wikipedia, Pac-Man revenues equaled 10 billion quarters by the late 1990s
• Notable celebrities who are also turning 40 this year include Ewan McGregor, Snoop Dogg, Mark Wahlberg, Emmanuel Lewis, Mariah Carey, Luke Wilson, Jada Pinkett Smith and many others
KontrolFreek is the leader in creating performance gaming gear for the active gamer lifestyle.
Since 2007, the company’s range of highly acclaimed products for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 have combined the latest in ergonomics, engineering and materials technologies. KontrolFreek has cleverly merged the simplicity of design with performance boosting features to improve accuracy, maneuverability and comfort for gamers of all levels and gaming genres. For more information, visit KontrolFreek.com or join FreekNation on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube.
About IBOPE Zogby International
IBOPE Zogby International is a non-partisan, premier global public opinion polling and market research firm that offers timely, accurate results and in-depth analysis and insights. IBOPE Zogby International works with issue experts in a vast array of fields including healthcare, technology, finance, insurance, energy, agriculture, public affairs, and media who offer insightful data analysis and exceptional service to clients in countries throughout the world. IBOPE Zogby International experts analyze data and work with clients to develop and implement new strategies, and offer customized and attractive solutions to challenges our clients face. IBOPE Zogby International was formed in January 2010 following the acquisition of Zogby International by IBOPE Inteligencia of Brazil, a subsidiary of IBOPE Group. Please visit www.ibopezogby.com for more information on IBOPE Zogby International.
For media inquiries, please contact:
Marketing Manager, KontrolFreek