London – 21 st December 2011 – On 17 Jan, the battle for Sera rages on as Microsoft and Epic mark the New Year with the release of “Fenix Rising,” the third major game add-on for the most critically-acclaimed shooter of 2011, “Gears of War 3.” Featuring five spectacular new multiplayer maps inspired by significant locales in the “Gears of War 3” campaign, “Fenix Rising” also introduces four new character skins and a new system that allows players to rank up through level 100 multiple times to unlock exclusive emblems and weapon skins.
With the purchase of the add-on, players who attain level 100 will have a choice to “Re-up” for another tour of duty to showcase their valor and dedication as elite “Gears of War” fans. Their experience and rank will be reset, but all other progression (including TrueSkill rating) will remain intact. Players can “Re-up” up to three times, earning a new rank icon color each time: Bronze (default level 100), Red, Green and Gold. Each “Re-up” level after Bronze also awards the player an exclusive, custom weapon skin that cannot be obtained by any other means:
- Re-Up Plasma – Animated flowing plasma in gold.
- Re-Up Omen – Shiny, red Omen.
- Re-Up Electric – Animated, golden electric shocks.
Available on Xbox LIVE for 800 Microsoft Points or included as part of the “Gears of War 3” Season Pass, “Fenix Rising” expands the multiplayer battlefield with an arsenal of stunning maps that deliver endless hours of frenetic online action across Versus Multiplayer, Horde and Beast Mode:
· Academy – The lineage of the Fenix family can be traced back along a distinguished line of military officers. Officer training at the Oracle Academy was simply the expected path for Marcus, and he had visited the grounds many times in expectation that he would walk the same path as his ancestors. But it was not to be, and Marcus broke with tradition to be with his best friends Dom and Carlos. Like any number of fine Seran traditions, the Academy is now lost to the invasion of the Locust Horde.
· Anvil – The fortress of Anvegad was called Anvil Gate because its impenetrable walls were forged in the fires of war. Huge cannons sat atop battlements that guarded sprawling walls running the line of the UIR borders. Marcus went there to find Hoffman, and they both thought that Anvil Gate would offer protection from the incoming forces of Locust and Lambent. They were wrong, and little remains other than the ruined shell of a once mighty fortress.
· Depths – The excessive opulence of Azura defied all normal reasoning. Adam Fenix however could see the cracks in the veneer of splendor from the moment he arrived at this underwater processing center. All that beauty mattered not at all once he was held captive by the Locust. Out of options, he had to find a way to contact Marcus, and finally reveal the truths he’d been keeping to himself for all these many years .
· Escalation – Haldane Hall has been the home of the Fenix family for countless generations. But the only history that matters to Marcus are his memories of warm summer evenings spent with his mother, Elain, relaxing in the estate’s gardens. Sadly, all the estate’s history and beauty was lost when the Locust destroyed it in an attempt to kidnap his father.
· The Slab – Convicted for insubordination and treason, Marcus was incarcerated in Jacinto Maximum Security Prison. Known as “The Slab”, this prison is not a correctional facility - it’s a place where Sera’s worst offenders are locked up and forgotten. The inmates are brutal, parole is not an option, and the average life expectancy is about two years. But that was before the Locust showed up, and what couldn’t get worse, suddenly did. Now your life expectancy there is around 2 minutes.
Additionally, players who purchase “Fenix Rising” will gain access to the following character skins for use in Versus Multiplayer and Horde Mode (if COG):
o Recruit Clayton – Clayton was born a Gear, grew up a Gear, and on the very day he became eligible, he signed himself up to become the capable, confident, and devoted Gear he’d always known he could be.
o Thrashball Cole (Limited Edition) – The Cole Train prefers to take the most direct path to the Locust Horde in any situation. What he lacks in finesse, he makes up in raw energy.
o Savage Marauder – Locust Marauders were the first to form any sort of organisation outside of the Hollow – if their brutal infighting and bloodthirsty raiding parties could truly be called organised.
o Savage Kantus (Limited Edition) – The Savage Kantus were profoundly impacted by the loss of the Hollow. They have reverted to a primal, shamanistic state, and their battle cries have taken a dark, melancholy turn. Few sounds are as terrifying to human ears.
Players can obtain “Fenix Rising” and all the previously released add-on content for “Gears of War 3,” including “RAAM’s Shadow” and the “Horde Command Pack,” and secure access to one more upcoming game add-on by purchasing the “Gears of War 3” Season Pass for 2400 Microsoft Points, which entitles them to the first four game add-ons for a total discount of 33 percent.
Developed exclusively for Xbox 360 by Epic Games, “Gears of War 3” is available in three distinct editions – Standard (£49.99), Limited (£59.99, available at selected retailers) and Epic (£99.99, available at GAME and gamestation). For a limited time only, the custom-designed Xbox 360 Limited Edition “Gears of War 3” Console is also available for a suggested retail price of £269.99 and features a copy of the game, two specially-designed Xbox 360 Wireless Controllers, limited edition downloadable content, built-in Wi-Fi and a massive 320 GB hard drive. The Limited Edition Wireless Controller is also available separately for a suggested retail price of £34.99. Both available exclusively at GAME and gamestation.