THQ's Jimmy Buffett inspired world, Margaritaville Online, made headlines over the weekend when it took home the 'Best Social / Casual Game' award at the Canadian Videogame Awards. Since launch in January, Margaritaville Online has helped bridge the gap between the music and the videogame industries, which is now being followed by the recently announced/launched Facebook and Online games for Grateful Dead and Jay-Z's 'Empire', both based around their music and life stories. These musicians and video game companies have created a new way to experience music and games using iconic songs and lifestyles as the backbone to the storyline.
Since launch, Margaritaville Online has seen great success and some impressive data points include:
- # of countries playing MVO: 210 (based on FB country codes)
- Total player hours played since launch: 2,997,137 hours (341.9 years)
- # of objects hacked (bamboo): 12,877,842
- # of objects smashed (barrels/crates/rocks): 68,349,432
- # of objects netted: 14,279,550
- # of times players have dug: 4,684,060
- # of times players have changed outfits: 618,291
Additionally, the minigames have had some extensive playtime - check out the below:
- Total played since launch: 2,599,862
- Hammock Time: 591,890
- Limbo: 312,414
- Pirates: 1,349,381
- Steel Drum: 139,136
- Tile Puzzle: 207,041
To play Margaritaville Online on Facebook, please visit: http://apps.facebook.com/margaritavillegame/.
Media assets (press only) are available here: http://bhimpact.gamespress.com/product_page.asp?i=1188.