San Francisco, CA– July 26th, 2010 - Unknown Worlds, developers of Natural Selection 2, are launching their highly-anticipated playable alpha tonight on Steam. Everyone that has pre-ordered the Special Edition of NS2 will be able to get to play this early version of the game.
After tonight, players will no longer be able to buy the Special Edition of the game, which grants this early alpha access along with exclusive all-black marine armor. Our introductory pricing will also end and so will increase after tonight. Summary: Alpha access and black armor will no longer be available after tonight.
We have two new screenshots of the game as well!
- <*> http://www.naturalselection2.com/storage/NS2-HiveRoom.jpg (new!)*> <*> http://www.naturalselection2.com/storage/NS2-HiveRoomBattle.jpg (new!)*>
Natural Selection 2 can be pre-ordered for at a special price of $19.95/€14.75 (Standard Edition) or for $39.95/€29.56 (Special Edition) at http://www.naturalselection2.com/buy. Over 12,000 players have pre-ordered to date. The tools and SDK are available now through Steam at http://www.naturalselection2.com/download.
Note: http://www.unknownworlds.com is currently under assault by rabid fans and may not be up for the next couple of days. Please bear with us!
About Natural Selection 2
Natural Selection 2 is the sequel to the popular Half-life mod, Natural Selection, which was the most popular independent Half-life mod and was played by over 300,000 players for over 2 billion player-minutes. Natural Selection 2 is a online-only first-person shooter and real-time strategy hybrid. Players can play as marines, aliens or commanders and fight in atmospheric sci-fi environments. It features:
- <*>Truly unique sides. Whether you play as one of the elite marine Frontiersmen or the vicious alien Kharaa, you must use unique strategies and your abilities to win. Marines form persistent squads to find and destroy alien hives. Aliens can choose a wall-running Skulk, pudgy Gorge, flying Lerk, murderous Fade or gigantic Onos that can smash through doors.*> <*>Real-time strategy. Commanders play from overhead to lead their team to victory. Build structures anywhere, collect resources and research upgrades. Marines buy weapons at an Armory or build sentry turrets and siege cannons to assault the enemy. Aliens build chambers, evolve special abilities and plant traps.*> <*>Dynamic environments. Spreading alien infestation deforms hallways and causes space station power failure, turning off lights and shutting down marine powered structures. Use a flamethrower to clear infestation or weld a bulkhead shut for a last defense. Every game is different.*> <*>Unlimited variations. WYSIWYG graphical tools and powerful scripting allow you to create new weapons, scenarios or entirely new games. You'll get all our tools and Lua source code we're using to build NS2. Ongoing automatic updates keep the game fresh by adding new maps, weapons and abilities.*>
We have released our simple game tools, SDK and our environment art to everyone that pre-ordered the game for testing, feedback and to jump-start community mapping. For more information about Natural Selection 2, please visit http://www.naturalselection2.com.
- <*> http://www.naturalselection2.com/storage/NS2-HiveRoom.jpg (new!)*> <*> http://www.naturalselection2.com/storage/NS2-HiveRoomBattle.jpg (new!)*> <*> http://www.naturalselection2.com/storage/lerks.jpg *> <*> http://www.naturalselection2.com/storage/squad.jpg *> <*> http://www.naturalselection2.com/storage/skulks.jpg *>
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/NaturalSelection2
Twitter (very active) - http://www.twitter.com/NS2
Content© 2002-2010 Unknown Worlds Entertainment, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
About Unknown Worlds
Unknown Worlds is a 7-person independent game studio in downtown San Francisco, CA. We've worked on games like Titan Quest, Lair and Empire Earth as well as mods and indie games like Natural Selection, Insurgency and GDC IGF Finalist Cogs.
The early stage of the company was funded exclusively through player donations. Now we are also funded both through private investment and through over 12,000 pre-orders. To learn more, please visit us at http://www.unknownworlds.com.
- <*>NS2 pre-alpha released on Steam ( http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010/5/friday_update_first_steam_release)*> <*>__________ revealed (April Fool’s) ( http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/2010/4/revealed)*> <*>Overgrowth/NS2 Organic Indie Pre-order Pack ( http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/61834)*> <*>Lerk reveal video ( http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010/2/friday_update_lerk_reveal)*> <*>Pre-Sales Completely Changed Our Financial Picture ( http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25036)*> <*>Pre-Order Bundle Postmortem ( http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidRosen/20100128/4258/Organic_Indie_Preorder_Pack_Postmortem.php)*> <*>Unknown Worlds Triumphantly Teases Natural Selection 2 - ( http://kotaku.com/5271215/unknown-worlds-triumphantly-teases-natural-selection-2)*> <*>Media - http://www.naturalselection2.com/media*> <*>Videos - http://www.naturalselection2.com/videos*>
Information for Editors
- <*>Official game site ( http://www.naturalselection2.com)*> <*>Natural Selection 2 Press Kit ( http://www.naturalselection2.com/storage/NS2_Press_Kit.zip)*> <*>Trailers and screenshots ( http://www.naturalselection2.com/media)*>
Keywords and Suggested Tags
Natural Selection, Unknown Worlds, screenshots, first-person shooter, FPS, real-time strategy, RTS, sci-fi, multiplayer, PC, video game, mods, modding
Charlie Cleveland, Founder/Game Director, Unknown Worlds
(415) 335-9789 (call me!)