Eight months have passed since our last release – and today we are proud to announce our new Pre-Alpha Release featuring in-game editor.
Please, note that the game is still in Pre-Alpha development stage. Most features in this release are still in the experimental stage and therefore are in an unfinished state which is subject to change.
The in-game editor and prefab modules: Build your own space ship, space station or any sort of space-like edifice you can think of. These structures are be made from prefab modules, and in the future we’re looking to feature ’total destructibility’ for these objects. Prefab modules include tunnels, lattices, beams and panels as well as diverse chambers and special devices. You can also upload your hand-made sectors to the server and let your friends play them! We are looking forward to your comments and suggestions, especially the interface and usability of our editor. Some of the prefabs are not 100% finished – you can recognize them easily because of their purple color with no real texture – you can still use those, it just won’t look that pretty (yet!).
New game features, including:
- Completely new GUI including lots of cool HUD icons.
- New player weapons.
- Improved AI (added waypoints, guard mode, more realistic combat behavior).
- New physics engine with multi-core optimizations.
- Image Space LOD (Level of Detail) – seamless LOD with no popping artifacts.
- Deferred rendering with unlimited light sources.
- Dynamic shadows / Cascade Shadow Maps (CSMs) with blended cascades
- Improved ship lighting from engine thrusts.
- Upgraded shaders, looking even more gorgeous.
- New render quality setting - EXTREME – designed to take advantage of newer hardware.
Upcoming game and editor features:
- Modular mothership weapons - large weapons and turrets that can aim and shoot at enemy!
- Special prefab types - lights, speakers, particle generators.
- Personality-Based AI Behavior and Group AI Behavior – simply set the AI behavior within the editor, choosing from several pre-scripted AI pilot and commander behaviors (coward, aggressive, sharpshooter, defensive and more).
- Event-driven music – many new music tracks programmed to fit within the context of the current gameplay situation (fight, chase, harvest, deep space...).
- Special prefab types - lights, speakers, particle generators. -
- Hundreds of new sounds by Dan Wentz and prefabs from our 3D artists were made ( http://www.minerwars.com/ForumTopic.aspx?id=1943), they are just waiting to be brought to life and interlinked with other game content.
- Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (SSAO).
- Image-Based Anti-Aliasing (FXAA).
- HDR with tone mapping, environmental textures, bloom/blur.
Producer & PR Manager
Keen Software House
Marek Rosa Introduces New Producer
As you may have noticed above, we have a new member of our team – Jan Jirkovsky. Jan has over eight years of experience with programming, game development and journalism. He has on record several freeware computer games, hundreds of game reviews and also a recently published book about game development ( www.game-industry.cz - in Czech). Both the book and his latest space shooter game Project Ignis convinced me to ask him to become a member of the Miner Wars team. Being a skilled producer and a jack-of-all-trades in the video game industry, Jan will take care of most of the PR stuff, internal and external documentation as well as other various assignments on Miner Wars 2081 and other Keen Software House projects.
CEO & Founder
Keen Software House