PopCap Games today unveils the results of a“social gamers” survey - that is, consumers in the U.S. and UK who play games on social networking platforms such as Facebook® and MySpace®. More than 24% of internet users as a whole said they play social games regularly, indicating a total social gamer population of approximately 100 million people in America and the United Kingdom alone. And contrary to prevailing stereotypes, the average social gamer is a 43-year old woman.
The survey identified a number of differences between U.S. and U.K. and revealed that, while still in its infancy compared to the traditional video game industry, the social games sector represents a huge opportunity to reach hundreds of millions of consumers who historically do not play video games. The social games sector is projected by industry analysts and researchers to generate revenues of more than US$1 billion in 2010.
Two-thirds of all "social gamers" - defined by the fact that they play games on social networking sites and platforms at least once a week - are U.S.-based. 55% of all social gamers are female and 45% are male; the disparity is even larger among UK consumers (58% vs. 42%). The average age of social gamers is 43, with U.S.-based social gamers averaging 48 years of age compared to 38 for those based in the UK. Further, 46% of American social gamers are 50 or older, compared to just 23% in the UK. Only 6% of all social gamers are age 21 or younger.
More detailed survey results available at: http://www.infosolutionsgroup.com/2010_PopCap_Social_Gaming_Research_Results.pdf
• Women are more apt to play social games with real-world friends than men are (68% vs. 56%).
• Men are more inclined than women to play with strangers (41% vs. 33%); nearly twice as many women as men say they play social games with relatives (46% vs. 29%).
• U.S. players tend to play more frequently, with 68% saying they play daily compared to 55% of U.K.-based social gamers.
• 61% of social gamers say their average social gaming session lasts more than half an hour; one in ten say their average session lasts 3 hours or more!
• Social gamers spend 39% of all their time on social networking sites/services playing games. The second and third most popular social networking activities among social gamers are chatting with/messaging friends (17%) and playing non-social (solo) games (15%).
• Only 17% of UK-based social gamers chose "connect with others" as a reason for playing, compared to 28% of their U.S. counterparts.
• 62% of qualified survey respondents say they play social games with real-world friends, while 56% play with friends they've made online and 37% say they play with strangers.
• U.S.-based social gamers are far more likely to play with strangers than their UK counterparts (41% vs. 29%).
• Nearly half (43%) of social gamers say they also play social games with their parents, children, and/or other relatives.
This international research was conducted by Information Solutions Group (ISG; www.infosolutionsgroup.com) exclusively for PopCap Games. The results are based on 1,202 online surveys completed by Toluna/Greenfield Online panel members in the United States and United Kingdom between January 7 and January 12, 2010. Of the 1,202 respondents, 800 (67%) are from the US, while 402 (33%) are from the UK. To qualify for participation, individuals must play social games for more than 15 minutes a week.
PopCap Games ( www.popcap.com) is the leading multi-platform provider of fun, easy-to-learn, captivating video games that appeal to everyone from age 6 to 106. Based in Seattle, Washington, PopCap was founded in 2000 and has a worldwide staff of over 260 people in Seattle, San Francisco, Chicago, Vancouver, B.C., Dublin, and Shanghai. Its games have been downloaded more than 1 billion times by consumers worldwide, and its flagship title, Bejeweled®, has sold more than 50 million units across all platforms. Constantly acclaimed by consumers and critics, PopCap’s games are played on the Web, social platforms, desktop computers, myriad mobile devices (cell phones, smartphones, PDAs, Pocket PCs, iPod, iPhone and more), popular game consoles (such as Xbox and DS), and in-flight entertainment systems. PopCap is the only“casual games” developer with leading market share across all major sales channels, including social, Web portals, retail stores, mobile phones, MP3 players, and game devices.
# # #
The PopCap logo and all other trademarks used herein that are listed at www.popcap.com/trademarks are owned by PopCap Games, Inc. or its licensors and may be registered in some countries. Facebook® is a registered trademark of Facebook Inc. Other company and product names used herein may be trademarks of their respective owners and are used for the benefit of those owners.
+353 1 646 8107
+353 1 6468183
+353 1 6468164